Oopsie! Canadian lawmaker caught naked in online House of Commons meeting

Could we all get past this, please? Everyone is naked under their clothes.

3 Likes

Oh heck I’m a tenured college professor and I still get that one.

4 Likes

Wow, that just blew my mind, or it could be the pot brownie.

7 Likes

If he was at home I’d have a nagging doubt whether it was really an accident, but it looks like he was in his office, so it’s quite plausible. And if we’re assuming it was an accident, then this whole conversation feels gross in a 1970s way.

And everyone has the agency to decide for themselves when and if they wish to share that nakedness with anyone else.

Totally the brownie, dude.

10 Likes

Thanks Dudette, yous ok yous know…

6 Likes

I’m not!!

Gross :grimacing:

9 Likes
7 Likes

Some do! I just helped a friend in Mexico buy a Lenovo laptop, and it has a dedicated plastic slider to cover the camera.

9 Likes

He may not have had a fig leaf, but there were both a Canadian Maple Leaf and a Fleur-de-lis right there!

6 Likes

And I just got a comment on that issue flagged and deleted.

Feels like the community feels it is fine to post and propagate such images.

You can also buy multiple types of tiny stick-on sliding covers. I used to have one of those on an external monitor.

While some of them are very thin, obviously it’s on you to work out if it will let you safely close your notebook. I know Apple felt moved at one point to say “don’t use these, all our webcams are designed in such a way that the sensor physically cannot operate without the little green light coming on”. Of course, Macbook cameras are inexplicably bad, so you can just cover it with black nail polish if you use an external camera anyhow

1 Like

Which means that an MP or staffer took a screenshot and gave it to the media. The Speaker is not pleased.

eta: I’d run the camera though a big obvious switch with very visible on-air light.

3 Likes

And then there’s 2020 contribution where you suddenly realize that you’re not wearing a mask.

1 Like

My mac has that, but that light only tells you it’s too late. The sliding physical cover is a much needed security and privacy tool.

Well, thanks to the pandemic, I don’t always know which day is Casual Friday, either.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

cough ThinkPad cough some models of Logitech webcams cough cough

4 Likes

Every single one of my school-related “nightmares” have to do with the technical high school I attended (GO TECH!) and nothing re my uni that I slaved over and received my masters from (GO POLYTECH!) Even though uni was the much tougher slog, I’ve never had any dreams regarding it, and I’ve never had a dreamless sleep. I can only think that the disparity has to do with the super-high (sometimes mean-spirited) level of competitiveness at my high school. Having felt safe in parochial school, in high school I felt as if I had been thrown to the wolves where even the instructors could be demanding. And yet I have a fondness for my h/s that I don’t have for my uni. Some time on a shrink’s couch would be needed to answer that one.

1 Like

Most new laptops do come with in-built sliders. When mine didnt have it, I bought one and stuck it on. Very very useful little things

1 Like

The oh no I’m back at school nightmare?