Open offices sap collaboration and productivity, reducing face-to-face time by 70%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/16/open-offices-sap-collaboration.html

3 Likes

Despite all the pep talks from management about increasing collaboration and togetherness, in the end the open office nothing more than a cost-saving measure for commericial square footage – one that the pep-talkers somehow always end up opting out of themselves.

I’m glad studies are being rolled out to demonstrate that, for any workplace with more than 10 people total, this is a productivity-destroying and anxiety-increasing BS fad that needs to die.

17 Likes

There have been reports if they give us a little bit more money each year, we’d be able to afford to … I don’t know, live? Sadly, I don’t the reports will help us.

Hey, remember coffee? I actually remember ‘making’ coffee, no joke! :blush:

Now, if they can just figure out how to put us on treadmills so we each power our own workstation… :thinking:

6 Likes

Why don’t management occupy those open offices? Yea I’ve heard all their lame reasons. No reason you can’t conduct those private sessions in a meeting room.

7 Likes

I’m shocked that the white-collar feedlot concept might not be optimal from a human resources welfare perspective.

4 Likes

While I’m in a cube farm, they aren’t high wall cubes. So I still get to hear everyone in the office on top of trying to look busy because there’s a meeting room door next to my cube and everyone from the the rank n file to vendors to the C-levels have been known to walk by.

2 Likes

“Now, if they can just figure out how to put us on treadmills so we each power our own workstation… :thinking:

Um…
cro-health-treadmill-desks-lifespan-ss-11-13

2 Likes

Despite all the pep talks from management about increasing collaboration and togetherness, in the end the open office nothing more than a cost-saving measure for commericial square footage – one that the pep-talkers somehow always end up opting out of themselves.

This! I’ve been through a couple Open Office conversion projects with large companies. The conversation behind closed doors always comes down to fitting as many workers as possible into the smallest square footage as a cost reduction strategy. That’s it. Nothing else. None of the C-level people making the decisions believed the collaboration-kumbya-propaganda. It was always about cost savings.

5 Likes

There’s already treadmill desks so this is just taking it to the next logical extreme. (And they are fucking obnoxious - especially in open office workspaces.)

1 Like

Clearly, that is the work of The Devil.

Oh, hey!

4 Likes

I noticed that too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.