OpenAI abruptly fires CEO Sam Altman for lying

Disgusted Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

5 Likes

I’m not arguing they should. I’m strongly against ChatGPT’s methods, but apparently they are legal at the moment.

1 Like

I’d just say that legality is a poor substitute for what’s actually moral and ethical, given the things justified (even today) via the law. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Jokes about Roko’s Basilisk, which is what this whole affair became known as, were actually what got Elon Musk and Grimes together. They both made the same pun about Roko’s Basilisk independently and found each other through it.

My friend, David Gerard, who was the initial reader and editor of Neoreaction a Basilisk, was the one who preserved all the transcripts of the meltdown and put them on RationalWiki. That’s why anyone knows about this. So he is ultimately single-handedly responsible for Elon Musk taking over Twitter just by popularizing Roko’s Basilisk. It’s horrible. He feels terrible about it.

5 Likes

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes
6 Likes

Following up, this dynamic gets worse when “effective altruism” is involved.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Additional information, links

and this:
At this rate, we all get to be interim CEO of OpenAI before long.

5 Likes

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman’s ejection sparks theories as odd as some ChatGPT output

2 Likes

lex fridman: Wow. No matter what happens team-wise, I hope benefit to humanity remains a top priority. Getting path to AGI right is too important

:roll_eyes:

https://nitter.net/lexfridman/status/1726516695165272551

4 Likes

According to Teh Wiki, on his podcast…

Fridman interviews people on “all sides”, presenting himself as curious and neutral.

So Joe Rogan with a CS PhD. Moving on…

7 Likes

True, but OpenAI aren’t on that path, so I’m not worried… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Chess? Looks more like 52-pickup from here.

11 Likes

9 Likes

There’s a possibility that Altman might have engineered his own ouster from OpenAI, but if so I doubt that becoming a another cog (albeit a big one) in the vast Microsoft corporate machine was the outcome he was hoping for.

Whatever was going on here, your characterisation of the “game” is spot-on.

3 Likes

Isn’t chess one of those things that ChatGPT can’t do?

9 Likes

Well if this last few days had been chess it’s the kind of shit Chat GPT would do: nothing that a real chess player would.

7 Likes

openAI seems dead with this last progression into madness;

2 Likes

He’s basically going to get the entire OpenAI employee count, free reign, a ton of money, and likely picked up a massive signing bonus to boot. The numbers being thrown around by the big five trying to grab him were in the hundreds of millions just for getting hired.

This, effectively, is a microsoft takeover of OpenAI. Sataya and Altman were good friends before this. I don’t know if I’d go the full 5d chess route, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Altman saw this confrontation coming and if Sataya hadn’t made the offer long ago, simply based on microsoft’s massive $10 billion investment with no strings attached being on the line.

3 Likes