Orange juice makers considering using other fruits

200 mg caffeine.

5 Likes

IIRC, doesn’t the pasteurization process for orange juice take away/change the taste and they have add back in flavor molecules so it tastes like orange juice?

2 Likes

9 Likes

I just drank some Tang mixed with selzer water. Yum. I like to keep a big canister of the pantry.

3 Likes

I didn’t make that up all by myself. Just reporting what I read online after wondering why I couldn’t find Minute Maid OJ concentrate in the grocery store. FWIW, both my kids were born in the mid '90s and would never buy frozen concentrate. Shrug emoji. Some products disappear because tastes change. You can’t find Campbell’s Pepper Pot soup at the grocery store anymore either. I’m gonna blame Gen X for that one.

We can get it without the sodium

… but not without the plastic packaging apparently

1 Like
3 Likes

Yep. Orange or not, in juice form, why pretend you’re not just straight dumping liquid sugar in your belly? blink

2 Likes

And this is before we get into American “juice drinks” that are flavored sugar-water with some small percentage of actual fruit juice, that many people give to their kids thinking it’s a “healthy” option (when it’s as bad as - or worse - than soda).

But I also wouldn’t assume that European packaged juices are any different - the fundamental issue is the same: they’re pasteurized and kept in oxygen-free storage for months/years on end. Artificially adding (real) fruit flavors before packaging is a necessity to have it still taste of fruit. Because what’s being added is natural fruit extracts, I imagine the labeling issue is the same as the US - that they don’t have to mention it.

1 Like

FWIW, seaberry juice is remarkably close (in a “yeah, sorta” way) to OJ, and doesnt need subtropical climate to grow.

4 Likes

And then “fruit(-flavored)” sodas are yet in an entirely different class of drink… potentially without any fruit juice at all.

3 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.