Orange juice makers considering using other fruits

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/02/orange-juice-makers-considering-using-other-fruits.html

9 Likes

You forgot “high fructose corn syrup” for maximum profitability.

13 Likes

I found that mixing equal quantities of mango and grapefruit juice yields, curiously, something virtually indistinguishable, to me, from orange juice.

11 Likes

Lemons are hybrids with citrons. Oranges are crosses between mandarins and pomelos.

11 Likes

“Eat the fruit,
Don’t drink the juice”

11 Likes

Very thankful to have a full sized orange tree out back. Wish we had lemons and limes, but we have had trouble growing them in pots.

5 Likes

You were promised color, not ingredients.

16 Likes

generally looked on the juice/juicing/juicer industry with a feckless frown. Why not just eat the @$! orange? or grapes or banana? some of us uncool gits regularly fill a bowl with oats and fruit and yogurt and thereby (with coffee of-course) convince our aging bowels to grudgingly perform.

4 Likes

I have sad news for supermarket orange juice lovers. The fun begins at about the 5:30 mark – and this video is from 9 years ago. Better marketing through chemistry!

7 Likes

So, tomatoes?

4 Likes

What does “Peak Food” mean and is it a problem?

3 Likes

being Gen X - in my 20’s drank a glass of V8 with pride that I was eating healthy…. until I understood :salt:NaCl levels! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I’ve known that for years. What I’ve always wondered is where the “flavor” in the “flavor packs” comes from.

3 Likes

Flintstone vitamins? Beaver glands? I kid.

But it is misleading at best that orange juice isn’t exactly orange juice, and hasn’t been for decades. I wonder if frozen concentrate is any better. Sadly, you can hardly find that stuff anymore. Apparently Millennials don’t like the “inconvenience” of mixing it up.

1 Like

Whenever millennials have supposedly killed something, it is usually capitalism maximising profits and deflecting blame. Millennials just get two servings of shit instead of one. Would you like some more too?

12 Likes

If they’re bottled juices, then that creates the possibility that they taste the same because they actually have the same added flavor compounds, collectively, that get put into orange juice…

“My house, where I’ve been stockpiling flammable materials in front of all the exits, is on fire. Is that a problem?”

6 Likes

The US food market is so alien for me, as a European. It could well be on another planet.

If I want to drink juice, I drink juice. If there’s something else in it than the fruit (or fruits) intended, that’s not juice for me. (Notable exception: added vitamins and minerals/micro-nutrients.)

7 Likes

Crucially, it’s also not juice to the law, or can call itself juice on the packaging.

6 Likes

Now reimagined for a new generation

7 Likes

I always liked having some orange juice in my sugary sunflower oil. I never tried it with vodka though.

3 Likes