Oregon car thief returns mistakenly abducted child, keeps car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/oregon-car-thief-returns-mistakenly-abducted-child-keeps-car.html

9 Likes

“I have been quested to return the child to its own kind.”

18 Likes

Thank you for that Untouchables clip; I need to watch that again.

6 Likes

He’s a criminal, but an upstanding, moral one. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

More like it’s preferable to get arrested for grand theft auto (which you may be able to get pled down to a misdemeanor charge or a lesser crime), versus kidnapping.

While I don’t know Oregon law I’d assume that a kidnapping while performing another crime is also a sentence multiplier.

Let’s just say this was a pragmatic criminal.

20 Likes

Class B kidnapping in Oregon requires intent, so I think he could likely beat that rap at trial. Depending, I suppose, on whether he drove 1/4 mile or 20 miles before looping back…

ORC 163.225: (1) A person commits the crime of kidnapping in the second degree if, with intent to interfere substantially with another’s personal liberty, and without consent or legal authority, the person:

(a)Takes the person from one place to another…

8 Likes

About 20 years ago, I read a short story in college that had a similar premise. A guy is trying to get back with his ex-girlfriend, and walks out of a drug store with a stuffed animal (it was an oversize flamingo, maybe?). He panics, and steals a car left idling in the parking lot, and later discovers a baby in the back seat. There’s a car chase, maybe, and snow and black ice? Maybe they get stuck in the ice for a few hours? The story ends with him thinking that, even though the kid won’t remember the events of the day, he’ll always remember the cold, and have a fleck of black ice in his heart, just like he (the narrator) does.

Anyone recognize the story from the description, please post author and title. Would love to read it again.

3 Likes

Woman: Well thank you very much for taking the transportation that makes my task of caring for my child exponentially less difficult and time-consuming!

Ugh, men.

tenor(14)

11 Likes

The Odessa Steps and Its Descendants

5 Likes

[Raising Arizona gif]

8 Likes

If it’s just considered a car theft, the cops are going to treat it like they do every other car theft, and tell the victim they are SOL.

I think police still take kidnapping seriously enough to investigate. I really hope the child’s return is a mitigating factor at trial, not a mitigating factor in the investigation. But Barney Fife has his own agenda.

1 Like

Jeezus, Andy Garcia is a handsome bastard in that suit and hat.

But I never understood how he knew Costner was out of ammo as he rounded the corner, and had a gun ready for him. I guess everything is easier when you do it in slow motion.

6 Likes

As he drove away, she said, “It’s OK - I got the license plate number.”

5 Likes

Plus, there is a market for the car.

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/when-car-thief-notices-kid-was-left-alone-in-stolen-car-he-returns-to-scold-the-mom.html

5 Likes

Yeah. It adds “aggravated” and a couple other prosecutorial sprinkles. It also makes it pretty hard to just plea the case away with the press looking on.

1 Like

Looking at the Streetview images of Basic Meats it really is a tiny place. The mother really could have been ten feet away from the car the whole time. It wasn’t the best decision, but she really was no more than five seconds away from her kid, and the weather has been very mild

“Don’t you know there are thieves everywhere?”

I there some sort of Mansplaining X Games I wasn’t told about? /s

6 Likes