Bring your kid to work day: FBI seeks man who robbed a bank while holding a child

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/14/bring-your-kid-to-work-day-fbi-seeks-man-who-robbed-a-bank-while-holding-a-child.html

6 Likes

He’s getting an ass whooping from grandma.

10 Likes

That baby has a history.

9 Likes

Are we sure that’s not three kids in a trenchcoat?

8 Likes

I wonder if the child is stolen too. Either way, I hope his using a kid as a human shield is taken into consideration during his trial.

5 Likes

Thought I might have recognized that kid…

4 Likes

I was thinking of the kid in Raising Arizona but I suppose he would be about 37 years old by now.

4 Likes

Well that does fit the age of the adult in this withdrawal incident…

3 Likes

Ablative baby armor.

BabyArmor

6 Likes
1 Like

What, you want him to just leave the kid in the car?

You can get in serious trouble for that.

8 Likes

It’s hard to entirely rule things out when you have no reason to suspect someone is acting entirely rationally(or is sufficiently desperate that very short term optimizations count as ‘rational’); but stealing a young-ish child seems like adding a lot of complexity and visibility to the plan, as well as some easy additional charges, for limited benefit.

Kid is definitely old enough to throw a very suspicious fit at being carried around by an unauthorized party if not carefully mollified somehow; in addition to being an inconvenient burden if you need to make haste; and only helps you if you are dealing with cops who fall into specific band of being willing to use lethal force against a fleeing property criminal, rather than IDing them and picking them up at a more advantageous time; but squeamish about collateral damage and not confident in their ability to avoid it.

Probably a group of nonzero size; but not large enough to make the extra hassle and significant additional charges seem terribly compelling.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Damon Runyon story and 1942 movie, “Butch Minds The Baby”. Safecracker’s day to care for baby has to break into safe without waking baby.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.