Oregonians to vote on whether to end constitutional ban on duels between public officials

Pics or it didn’t happen

3 Likes

I know what you mean. And whoever designed those pistol grips? Definitely mother issues!

6 Likes

Just give them paint ball guns and have at it. You get bonus points for the most shots in vital areas

5 Likes

Thank God for that. I wouldn’t want to win the silver medal if that weren’t the case.

11 Likes

Perhaps you’re right. Jackson certainly would have loved a “flayed man” flag.

6 Likes

Trump’s more Andrew Johnson than Andrew Jackson, only not as literate.

Both were Andrew Jackson wannabes who had no business being in office, and both were impeached within a couple years*

*posting from the future.

13 Likes

That would certainly remove the need to endless wrangle about “term limits.”

6 Likes

Why would it be murder if they both agree to duel? People don’t truly have any agency in life if they are prevented from deciding what they are and are not willing to live/die for. I contend that to a principled person, how one lives is more significant than how long one lives. Otherwise, what agency does anyone really have?

4 Likes
8 Likes

Put this way. Jackson when confronted by a man who shot at him on the capitol steps (and failed because the powde fouled) was attempting to beat the man to death to the point he had to be pulled off of his would be assassin.

The only other president that I’d put in that kind of crazy boat? Teddy Roosivelt… after giving a speech where he was shot in the heart but the speech notes slowed the bullet enough he was only bleeding instead of dead.

Jackson did dispicable despisable things but he was his own man, and if anyone tried to blackmail, bribe, or otherwise cajoul he’d probably end up challenging them to a pistol duel, or just beat the crap out of them.

Old Hickory idn’t get that name lightly. Also the hermitage is freaking georgous. I"ve been there, it is wonderfully preserved. They do not whitewash the man or his acts. He is remembered for his bad as well as good. I find this an agreeable position as it allows history to judge.

8 Likes

Okay, why not - but the rules should stipulate that weapons from a more civilised age must be used in any duels, if you know what I mean…

1 Like

Robot Jox?

14 Likes

duels are the only way to control the rampant proliferation of politicians

11 Likes

Can we duel them while they are sleeping?

6 Likes

With an angry badger. On a burning boat?

5 Likes

That’s not “dueling.” That’s “hunting.”

3 Likes

So elections are going to become a king of the hill cage match affair ?

I’m not sure ritualized murder isn’t better. Whether it’s a gang grudge or a jilted husband, I think I’d rather prefer the notion that there’s some time to try to settle things do before someone pulls the trigger. I do wonder what percentage of challenges went all the way to a fatal shooting. I’m guessing pretty low.

1 Like

The same way it’s still murder if two street gangs decide to have a shootout.

2 Likes

Also, women are smarter about these things:

(That it was a topless duel necessitates the use of the Daily Mail as a source)

4 Likes