Organist matches pastor's energy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/organist-matches-pastors-energy.html

7 Likes

This is great. Seeing the headline I was expecting a follow up to the Pearl River pastor story. This type of energy makes me want to go to church.

This organist should team up with some sacred steel*

ETA: It turns out they’ve already played and recorded together, both Cory Henry playing on a Robert Randolph album and vice versa

10 Likes

See, I’m not religious, but I do think , if you’re gonna go to church, it oughta sound like that. I like how the camera operator is getting just as rocked by the organ power chords as the choir ladies are. Good stuff.

8 Likes

Totally agree, i’m not much for religion and i’m not necessarily into this type of church service but the organist is pretty great with his improvisation

5 Likes

Cory Henry plays with Snarky Puppy. He’s pretty amazing and has several solo albums out too.

6 Likes

The man was awesome, loved it. Of course, it brought this to mind to my joy and shame.

12 Likes

It’s 10am. I’m at work. I’m wearing sunglasses and I want to spend the next 2 hours watching Landis’ ode to Chicago.

My lack of production is happily blamed on you, cepheus42.

8 Likes

I feel this!!! Why can’t this church be in my town!? I have church envy? WTF?

3 Likes

Perfect pitch. I love how he follows the preacher’s modulation into another key, no problem.

3 Likes

I’m glad I could provide you a couple of hours of pleasure. Truly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

His solo here is also a miraculous and beautiful thing, making his bandmates shake their heads in disbelief.

6 Likes

organist

1 Like

Yeah the earthquake evoking camera work totally worked.

On another note long live the St. John Coltrane Church

It’s like shooting sound blasts of divine power out of his fingertips. Looks fun!

Several years ago I spent hours watching the amazing interplay and stylistic variations that you’ll find on youtube if you search for “Sermon Close”. There was some organ and band support that reminded me more of dronology or Krautrock/Cosmic music than anything I’d have expected.
Here’s a recent recording from Beaumont TX:

Wait a minute… This sounds like rock and/or roll!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.