Christian musician explains how syncopation corrupts music and your soul

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/02/christian-musician-explains-how-syncopation-corrupts-music-and-your-soul.html

9 Likes

I am not surprised, because “Christian [insert profession here] explains [bullshit]” is a very common pattern.

38 Likes

This checks out. I’m currently listening to Hernie Hancock Doin’ it which is a ferocious, goddamned groove. Good music paves the road to hell.

34 Likes

this makes so much sense.

3 Likes

White people will come up with any excuse for being tragically uncool.

42 Likes

Can anyone say “thinly veiled racism”? Good. Because that’s what this is.

Syncopation wasn’t part of popular music until Black musicians popularized it through jazz, blues, and eventually rock and roll.

Un-fuck this guy really hard.

edited to clarify how much this BS aggravates me.

71 Likes

There’s probably a lot of Black christians who would want to beat that guy’s pale ass for singlehandedly denouncing the whole lot of Black christian music as “corrupt”.

36 Likes

Wow, that is some first class bullshit that I have ever heard .

14 Likes

It’s also an attack against other languages, especially the Romance languages where the accent is naturally on the second syllable, not the first. French, Italian, Spanish, even Romanian, all have syncopation in the pronunciation.

I cannot speak for any of the wide other continents, alas. My knowledge of the languages used in India, Asia, Africa, Oceania, and so on is rather limited.

26 Likes

Trying to figure out what region of my brain contains the “frontal moral lobe”?

Perhaps that’s where the urge to masturbate is contained. The priests at my high school in the olden days used to suggest that we needed to have sheets with pockets in them to restrain our immoral impulses. Now I know what they were talking about.

12 Likes

I wish somebody would break down all the times he uses syncopation in his speech patterns to be persuasive in this speech (two quick examples: @1:32 “Ohh yeah”, @4:25 “something’s up here”)

15 Likes

Pythagoras’s cult really should have done more mushrooms. I blame them for the all the rhythmless squares out there.

16 Likes

Problem is, I didn’t find him persuasive at all.

4 Likes

Citation needed.

4 Likes

Sister Rosetta Tharpe would have had plenty to say about this.

16 Likes

1:10 in: “It’s the same words, the same type of feeling — excuse me, the same type of melody . . .”

Yeah. Your Racist Freudian Slip is showing, dude.

10 Likes

So, when does it get OK (aka. “corruption safe”) to demonstrate this? Is it because he knows that it corrupts people that he can safely do it himself?

And now that we all are informed about it, are we also safe?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Frontal moral lobe indeed :wink:

15 Likes

was literally just thinking about how taking drumming lessons from an old funk guy in my early years has absolutely destroyed my ability to tap along to anything but the off beat, I’m glad it is apparently a sign of loose morals and heathanism, makes sense tbh

15 Likes