Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture"

Originally published at: Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

We are entering the “Wrong kind of Christians” stage of the Republicans policy of theocratic fascism

67 Likes

They’ll start with what they consider “liberal” protestants, and will start going after their traditional enemies of Catholics and Mormons not long after…

43 Likes

I know an ultra conservative Catholic. She thinks the white evangelicals are great.
And I can’t help wondering why she can’t see that they just haven’t gotten far enough down the list to eliminate her yet?

51 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

They will get around to them eventually, especially now that they’ve served their purpose on the issue of Roe.

39 Likes

The kicker is that PCC thinks because they paid them anyway, then hey what’s the big deal.

9 Likes

An LGBTQ member of an a capella group? Leaping lizards!

Feels like the PCC admin doesn’t get out of its bubble very often

38 Likes

They certainly wouldn’t be able to have much music at all.

18 Likes

I wonder which scripture they feel is being contradicted by this person’s lifestyle? Notice they are not specific on the behavior for why they are excluding this person(s). Anyone who’s had sex outside of marriage, works on the Sabbath or wears clothes made from more than one fiber are technically ‘contradicting scripture’.

24 Likes

o_0

They think the Pope is literally the anti-Christ and don’t even consider Catholics as “Christians”.

23 Likes

Like I said she’s an ultra conservative Catholic. She too believes the pope is the antichrist.
The fact the pope is supposedly chosen by God and yet this pope was chosen even though he’s evil, this does not seem to bother her. Never mind that it makes no sense

30 Likes

They don’t say that part as loudly anymore, at least since the Moral Majority aligned with conservative catholic groups to get abortion banned again.

16 Likes

It’s only “against scripture” when queer people do it. For everybody else it is a mere moment of weakness.

42 Likes

Yes. And the Catholics really do seem to have a very short memory where that is concerned.

@Mister44 sorry I missed the second part of your sentence the first time around

16 Likes

You can remind her that only 100 years ago, American politicians referred to Catholics as “non-white.” And in areas that were mostly white, Catholics and Catholic schools were the target of the KKK. It’ll go back in that direction, given the chance.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/when-america-hated-catholics-213177/

and

23 Likes

There are alternatives available to her.

All of them are awful, even by religious conservative standards.

23 Likes

I could certainly try. But this particular person has an almost super human ability to not hear things that she does not want to hear

17 Likes

Not surprised.

17 Likes

Definitely not going to mention that!

12 Likes

At least (?) it’s a religious college and not a public one. I mean, they’re still [absurd], but at least you knew that going in.

My favorite arguement with people preaching scripture is the quoted one - polyester. It’s so easy.

“Do what this book says”

“Ok, this book says your shirt is a sin, a bad one!”

“Well, you can’t listen to everything/that was a different time”

“Yes, I know!”

brain buffer “Do what this book says!”

17 Likes