Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture"

It’s not acceptable anywhere. Bigotry is bigotry.

30 Likes

Jerry Falwell Jr has entered the chat.

17 Likes

I am always very tempted to engage with conservative Christians who cite scripture as the reason for their intolerance and challenge them on the specifics of said scripture. In almost all cases, once you dig into what the Bible says - or more specifically doesn’t say - about homosexuality, the case for citing scripture as the ‘inerrant word of God’ quickly falls apart.

Most conservatives cite the same 6 “Clobber Passages” for proof that God condemns homosexuals - Genesis 19:1-38, Leviticus 18:22; 20:13, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, Jude 6-7, and the most common, Romans 1:25-27.

Taking aside the Old Testament as irrelevant to modern times, that leaves us with just a few New Testament verses that might pertain to the actual teachings of Jesus. And NONE are from the Gospels which means Jesus himself said NOTHING about homosexuality.

I love this takedown of the mistranslation of Paul’s letters to the Romans and how ‘sexual deviancy’ in the ancient Roman context of temple prostitution, pederasty and general hedonistic perversions was twisted to mean “all homosexual relationships”. The term “homosexual” was simply unknown until modern times and wasn’t added to the KJV translations until 1946.

Paul’s critique was of pederasty, raping slaves, temple prostitution, and other abusive, self-serving, cultic, and nonconsensual forms of sex his first-century Gentile audience would have been familiar with, not the committed, loving, consensual same-sex relationships we see today

21 Likes

So the group wore mixed fabrics? Or did they eat shellfish?

20 Likes

Well, there’s that, and the fact that the King James bible was a rewrite voted on by a room of old white dudes.

30 Likes

Going from not having any available music to outright banning all music is (checks history books) entirely on trend and should be expected before too long.

26 Likes

Indeed. Going back before the Council of Trent and the adoption of the Vulgate when Latin supplanted Hebrew and Greek as the “official” Bible language, mistranslations go all the way back to practically the beginning of Christianity. I don’t give much credence to modern bigots to actually understand the history of the book for which they claim is the foundation of their beliefs.

22 Likes

Oh, they really cheated themselves. The King’s Singers are superb!

24 Likes

And the students, at least twice! First time by denying them the musical experience, the second time by cheating the students out of the student fees used to pay the singers they didn’t get to listen to.

21 Likes

You put together one anthology of local authors and then this happens…

26 Likes

Even 60 years ago a Catholic president was controversial.

23 Likes

13 Likes

You say that, but the King’s Singers have sung there before. This is not a new group to the college, or a new college to the group.

Also, this is not some temporary student a cappella group; they are world-renown and sing Christian music as a mainstay of their repertoire. Refusing to allow them to perform is going to have some blow-back from their students because if the King’s Singers aren’t good enough for this school, who would be?

32 Likes

Back in 1378 to 1417 there were two competing Popes; how can people be certain that the “right one” won the Schism? It is 50/50 that the current line of Popes are actually Anti-popes; sort of Heisenberg’s Pope until someone can collapse the Theological Envelope.

In my defence, I didn’t even know that those slacks were Poly-cotton the menu did say it contained shellfish, and I got the “I :sparkling_heart: Jesus” tattoo when I was drunk. The gay sex? What can I say, mae culpa."

But… but… that can’t be true! If it were, the Bible Code would just be a pile of pareidolic hogwash!

I would love to see them putting together a song. Working out what noises to make, and when. A cappella is like magic to me.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

24 Likes

Is that the biggest hit of those Black Metal Badgers above?

19 Likes

I’m going to assume that’s a White Supremacist death metal band?

14 Likes

That’s one of the core characteristics of adherents to mainstream religion

4 Likes

Some groups have a reserved spot, but everyone takes a number in the Othering Line.

9 Likes

I feel even better about mocking them if they are.

13 Likes
7 Likes