Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture"

I always assumed that “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman” meant “thou shalt not drag all the duvet onto your side of the bed”.

15 Likes

But it’s alright, the concert was canceled, not the singer - only libruls cancel people! Conservatives just have moral objections to allowing them to perform - or exist (*not all ‘moral violations’ apply). Totes different!

Or worst of all - is one of the singers rich? (No? Not that kind of ‘contradiction’?)

16 Likes

There actually IS a Christian version of Black metal…

Miss J Reaction GIF

16 Likes

And there wasn’t another Catholic president until two years ago.

20 Likes

There’s also Stryper but google them at your own risk.

12 Likes

Indeed. If the students really cared about the contents of their holy book, rather than about what two millennia’s-worth of scammers have made up about the contents of their holy book, then they wouldn’t go to a feckin’ indoctrination factory.

11 Likes

mistranslations go all the way back to practically the beginning of Christianity

Technically, no. The originals were oral traditions that were not written down for decades or even centuries. When they were finally transcribed, they were done by amateurs, i.e., the only folks on hand that were literate enough to put quill to rag. Were they accurate? Did they write down everything Jesus supposedly said? Odds are, not even close. You don’t get professional scribes until much later.

There are no original manuscripts, just nth-copies of copies. Even if the originals came from God’s own mouth, It is fair to say that the current versions might as well be 100% fabricated.

7 Likes

@ChuckV got it right.

I like to scroll through images of extreme metal bands; they are often touchingly hilarious.

13 Likes

I thought it meant something like if you’re the big spoon when you lie with a man you have to switch it up and be the little spoon if you lie with a woman.

4 Likes

No offense intended, but people who use “mixed fabrics” or “shellfish” to argue with Christians don’t actually know what they are talking about. Those prohibitions come from the Old Testament and were rules for the Israelites/Jews - they don’t apply to Christians. This was made clear in the vision Peter had when God told him that gentiles could be saved and could eat meat that Jews considered “unclean.”

Orthodox Jews don’t believe/follow the teachings of Jesus in the New Testament and Christians don’t follow the rules in the Old Testament. That’s the main difference between the two religions.

(I saw the King Singers once when I was in high school and they were amazing.)

2 Likes

The point is that certain Christians feel free to point at the Old Testament to justify their homophobia.

36 Likes

I say, sod 'em.

14 Likes

And Jesus said to keep following them. So much for clear.

16 Likes

As If Eye Roll GIF by MOODMAN

But without Leviticus, what justification do Evangelicals have in scripture for their bigotry against LGBTQ people, BIPOC, women, poor people, and people who don’t share their exact variety of faith?

26 Likes

dude’s touching something. :eyes:

5 Likes

No offense intended, but people who rules lawyer like that in the face of this sort of systemic entrenched bigotry aren’t helping.

We know exactly what we’re talking about. And we also know that when Christians call homosexuality an “abomination”, they are explicitly quoting Leviticus. This is their justification for what they’re doing. We know it’s hypocritical bullshit, and that’s why we call them on it.

But please don’t accuse us of not knowing what we’re talking about.

36 Likes

From 1424-1429 there were three Catholic popes!

16 Likes

Splitters!

11 Likes

Don’t forget about the current situation with the Orthodox Pope Theodore II, who should not be mistaken for the Coptic Pope Theodore II.

9 Likes

If they’re even TRYING to be internally consistent by excluding the Leviticus rules or the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis, there’s really only a handful of mistranslated verses in the New Testament such as Romans 1:18-27 or 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 they can point to justify their homophobia.

Most of the time they simply don’t care about the semantics and just hold up the Bible and declare “God condemns homosexuality”. Makes as much sense as the circular logic of “The Bible is true because it says it’s true”.

13 Likes