Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture"

[It was a rhetorical question.]

Robert Downey Jr Ok GIF

10 Likes

Of course there’s an exemption to the “works on the Sabbath” for college football players, right? Can’t interfere with the most important part of college, right? [I would say /s but there are way too many people who would agree with football or sports in general being the most important part of college.]

13 Likes

but… but… those ball players kneel in the endzone and point to the sky (heaven?) so that is worship not work. and besides, it’s only a game so doesn’t even count as work!
(obvious /s is obvious)

13 Likes

No offense intended but if you’re saying Christians are monolithic and completely consistent in their beliefs then you’re the one with no idea what you’re talking about.

18 Likes

Shit…determining which day - Saturday or Sunday- is the true Sabbath is not even that simple.

I guess that’s why it’s acceptable in the Holy Church of Football to play high school on Fridays after sundown, college ball on Saturday and Sunday for the pros.

14 Likes

There are also other mistranslations. Saris adam is translated as eunuch, but is more accurately translated as person who is assigned male at birth and becomes female through human intervention. Does that sound familiar?

In case anyone thinks I am reading too much into this:

19 Likes

I’m a lapsed Catholic, but I am fairly monolithic; sort of Menhir Shaped.

13 Likes

I’m gonna call bullshit on that claim because those Christians are happy to cite the Book of Leviticus when they’re looking for a biblical basis for condemning homosexuality. Jesus never said a thing about same-sex relationships.

29 Likes

Look. Some people push the covers over towards their co-sleeper just to make it seem like that person stole the covers. And I’ll fight anyone who disagrees.

14 Likes

No Jews follow the New Testament because they don’t recognise Jesus Christ as the messiah.

[and no, “Jews for Jesus” are no more Jews than Andy Ngo is an “impartial journalist” when it comes to covering fascists and white supremacists.]

18 Likes

No offense intended… but so do all the shit that they claim tells them to hate on the gays… Jesus doesn’t have ANYTHING to say about homosexuality (or gender or abortion, or violently separating children from their parents, etc). Anything that might hint at that is in the old testament.

Like it or not, Christians use BOTH books of the bible.

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

21 Likes

I have heard them…

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

13 Likes

This is a wonderful thing about modern evangelicals. When the Christian rock thing was growing a few decades ago I listened to a bunch of it out of curiosity. It cracked me up that the music was basically the same as mainstream rock with edits made to the lyrics so they wouldn’t appear satanic or indecent. So in a dime-a-dozen love song the Christian rocker boy sticks in a few references to God so everyone knows “you” describes not his lust for some girl but his pure non-erotic love for the Big G. Christian metal takes that a step further. The same roaring, angry tone but with God standing in for Satan. It’s laughable.

It’s typical of modern evangelicals’ use of reverse-engineering to circumvent restrictions against stuff they really want to do. Start with a desired behavior, rephrase or redefine the offensive parts, and carry on with the forbidden behavior secure in the knowledge that God will wink His mighty eye. It makes it so much easier to share in the fun.

5 Likes

The Muppets No GIF by ABC Network

If I want to listen to Christian music, I’ll seek out the many wonderful genres of music that already exist - gospel, classical, etc. Praise music is really fucking awful music. Like all the bad of overly commercial pop, but with a message about Jesus shoved in there… At least Amy Grant had some talent… throwing in “edgy genres” doesn’t really help…

There are plenty of Christians who make great music, but don’t push it down your throat… Low and Belle and Sebastian are two great examples of groups that are explicitly Christian, but manage to not make it utterly cringe. Shoe-horning Jesus into black metal is totally cringe (as the kids say)…

Also… obligatory:

21 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 hours.

It must be a sad, sad existence to live a life filled with so much bigotry

3 Likes

Wut?

11 Likes

Thanks for making my morning!
:joy:

12 Likes

Alice In Wonderland Thank You GIF

You’re welcome.

10 Likes