Florida college cancels concert because singer openly lives a "lifestyle that contradicts scripture"

I don’t know… I’m more concerned with the people who are the target of that bigotry.

10 Likes

I remember the Nine O’Clock services in the UK, which was a Christian rave. It was the same sort of thing, any drug or sexual references was replaced with God and Jesus, with a few more biblical references thrown in just to make sure.

Even as a young Christian (at the time) who liked electronic music, something seemed off about them. I was right, the whole thing was a sexual assault cult within the Church of England.

16 Likes

Tidied that up for ya.

:wink:

11 Likes

So, an ultra-conservative AND a Catholic? Because Pope-is-anti-Christ is not a conservative stance within Catholicism.

9 Likes

And by the same vision, in which god told Peter that no man should be called common or unclean, god also included the LGBTQ+ community, since He neglected to add “except for…”

As many others already succinctly pointed out, the reason progressives call out rules from Leviticus (get a haircut lately, you abomination in the sight of the Lord?) is because literalism is an all or nothing proposition. God hates gays? Then He hates bacon and shrimp, and especially bacon wrapped shrimp, too. And tattoos. Divorce. Intercropping. Mixed fabrics. Cheeseburgers (and not just bacon cheeseburgers). Haircuts. Balk-talking kids (stone them to death). Adultery (but only women). Uncircumcised men. People who aren’t hospitable towards strangers. And the list goes on and on.

When he absolved gentiles from all the rules and restrictions from Leviticus for salvation, he absolved ALL rules, including homosexuality and other non-cis relationships.

The Bible has been cherry picked from the beginning to justify petty bigotry and oppression. It’s time we call that out, even if it makes some people uncomfortable.

(Edit for typo, though “uncontrollable” instead of “uncomfortable “ works too)

22 Likes

Look at the Wiki article about Sedevacantism that I mentioned earlier. They may not be part of the official Catholic Church but they believe that they are the true Catholics, not the current Pope and his church.

14 Likes

They never do. “I thought the Church of Face-Eating Leopards wouldn’t send their leopard thugs to eat my face!”

15 Likes

Must have eaten a cheesy shrimp dish?

1 Like

with bacon

1 Like

The TRUE polyamorous

3 Likes

Fun fact: Jesus use to hang around with twelve dudes.

10 Likes

And they were “fishers of men” :thinking: That sounds like cruising to me.

14 Likes

Catfish? Decidedly treyf.

3 Likes

I do feel that a good portion of the current trend of “everyone we don’t like is a groomer” is so that they can claim scripture from the gospels as justification for wanting to kill people.

7 Likes

I suspect we will see an increasing wave of performers hired by religious outfits just so they can be judged inferior and Canceled™, because drama.

2 Likes

As a Unitarian Universalist, I am quite nervous. Our churches have been targets of shootings in the past.

19 Likes

That’s the thing that I think some people might not get… once this starts to be a snowball rolling down the hill, it will pick up speed, size, and go over whoever it can in its path… Eventually going after groups within it’s own group that aren’t pure enough…

15 Likes

Don’t have to, can remember more of the 80s than I really care to :grimacing:

8 Likes

Every revolution devours its own, because once the external enemies have been eliminated internal enemies are the only ones who remain (or still pose a threat).

4 Likes

I mean so did the Cathars but it didn’t really stop the Inquisition slaughtering them…

12 Likes