Orthodox Rabbi declares cloned pork kosher

I think it’s more to do with the fact that they had no idea that shellfish existed at the time. So it’s more like that list of feasting in the Holy Grail, and they never got to the pigs before being told to wrap it up.

That movie was amazing.

“No really, this is what bacon tastes like. Sure thing it is.”

1 Like

You may be waiting a while. Right now all the lab grown meat is grown in calf serum (embryonic fluid), the stuff is magic, it is not known how it works and no one has come up with a replacement. Harvesting the fluid requires aborting the calf fetus. So a burger made this way may require dozens of calf abortions. I guess it will depend on where you draw the line, and that line seams to get fuzzier the closer you get to it.

1 Like

Do you have a citation on that? I would like to learn more.

Right, clearly not ready for primetime yet then (as one would expect). increasing reliance on animals (through multiple aborted births) is obviously not going to convert anyone looking to reduce living animal involvement.

4 Likes

For Jews, I believe it was mostly an act of cultural self-preservation. The laws of kashrut pretty much prevented us from socializing over dinner with our Roman overlords or later Christian ones, making the community more insular and thus reducing the chances of assimilation.

That’s not based on solid scholarship, btw; just my own conjecture.

Also note that this Rabbi saying this does not mean it’s accepted Halakha. There has to be a lot of argument before a general consensus might be reached, at which point the majority opinion would be considered the accepted ruling.

14 Likes

Gives the basics - also a link at the end of the article to an alternative.

No idea how well the alternative works, it has been a long time since I have done cell culture.

3 Likes

Sacridelicious!

I do not know how ‘vat-grown meat’ works (sounds gross per above), but I could imagine they figure out a vegan amniotic-like fluid and grow the cells on a frame or something then harvest a thin layer of cells, squish that together with secret herbs and spices (to say nothing of antibiotics and chemicals). Sounds like it would take less land, water and nutrients than a animal that we then have to kill to eat. But how does it taste?

The incredible burger also sounds like it would be a better solution. Tho engineered foods often have odd ingredients shall we say?

Doctor%20who%20ep%202%20_e7ccc42ef692c95a322a4e51f89c59bc

7 Likes

Haha! We’ve outsmarted god again! Stupid god.

6 Likes

Yup. The whole “health” thing is mostly a retrocon. Nothing healthier about wine made only by Jews, and the whole thing with the back half of the beast being nonkosher unless you dissect out the nerve is just ridiculous. I learned a new one just recently after 24 years with a kosher keeper: you can’t serve fish with meat, so my habit of putting anchovies on burgers in lieu of bacon is still nonkosher!

PS: Chickens don’t give milk, so why can’t you serve them in it? People who can’t get past that aren’t going for vat grown bacon, no matter what you tell them.

5 Likes

“Well that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

18 Likes
1 Like

An Orthodox Jewish colleague and I had lunch together in the company cafeteria. There was rarely anything he could eat except crackers or ketchup. I quipped he could never know what a cheeseburger tastes like (as I bit into mine). He replied he could, just not swallow it.

I always enjoyed learning from him. Rarely did I stump him except for observing the sabbath while in orbit. Sunset every 90 minutes. He admitted they weren’t thinking about space when they came up with the rule 3000 years ago. Yet somehow cloned pig meat doesn’t seem too much trouble for those 3000 year old rules. Kinda cool.

4 Likes

Or it causes another sect of Judaism to be created because the minority oppose the ruling. 200+ and counting…

4 Likes

The issue of cloven hooves and cud-chewing doesn’t apply here. His argument seems to be that vat-grown meat only has a strand of DNA in common with a pig. It was never a significant part of a whole animal, and by the time the few cells that were have gotten to market weight so little of the final product was ever part of a beast that it falls under the “too tiny to care” standard of treyf-in-food. I can’t remember I think it’s 1 part in 128 or some such.

3 Likes

People have all sorts of taboos. Why don’t you eat earthworms, balut, corpses, or fruit fly larvae? Why do we cover our genitals but not our faces? They just seem strange because they’re not the ones you happened to grow up with.

Some of these were customs adopted from cultures the ancient Israelites came in contact with like the Egyptians and Canaanites. Some of them were designed to distinguish themselves from those heathens over there.

3 Likes

In archeology, You’ll find the of bones forbidden bits of the meats in Roman encampments (hind quarters etc). Which is a good way to placate your followers by saying “GOD SAYS You shouldn’t eat this bit so give it to the Romans…” when you’re giving food from their mouths to their overlords, while the religious leader are enjoying special privilege status from those overlords.
I mean their not going to throw it away. They’re gonna give or trade it to the Romans…they’ll eat anything.

2 Likes

Only one thing is certain.

This will set off decades of halachic argument. By the time it’s done we’ll all be uploaded to servers, and the rabbonim will start arguing about whether it’s alright to eat simulated pork mac-and-cheese or whether that would give Gentiles the mistaken impression that Jews ate pork and milk.

3 Likes