Orthodox Rabbi declares cloned pork kosher

Sure, I get that - and it seems like it’s probably something that is going to hashed out for a while by both Rabbis (and Imams), as you note. I’m just wondering about the people who decide that they agree with this particular Rabbi’s views and partake of this simulated pork and if it would cause the same intestinal problems that real pork would? Sort of a tangential question to the whole issue of religious rulings.

1 Like

Cynical me says that those people would eat pork anyway. If its for the first time its gonna be like anyone who hasn’t had a certain meat (or any) in a while and their gut will protest.

Specifically in a desert environment, pre-refrigeration. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The principle that anything custom becomes toyreh and the dogma about “building a fence around the Torah” mean things will always ratchet crazier. Eventually the fence will be big enough nobody, including Hashem, will be able to get within a mile of it

1 Like

I take it you didn’t read the article. It explains why they aren’t doing that. It’s not about the time of day. It’s about day vs night.

I read the farking article. But because even most fanatic charedim can’t fast for several months they’ll have to bend to reality.

This has been my takeaway. The entire system has been hijacked by the most anal and obsessive. There’s always going to be someone holier-than-thou but why do we have to hand them control?

They’re striking contrast between certain laws. Compare the relatively rational acceptance of 1/60 of accidental tref in food with the above-mentioned obsessing about flour that might not have mixed with water in matzah. My wife likes to describe pesach as the obsessive-compulsives holiday.

2 Likes

Have you begun wrapping your entire house in tin foil yet? :smile_cat:

It’s long been wrapped, but what does that have to do with kashrut? It’s the, you know, listeners that I’m concerned about…

1 Like

Yes, and wouldn’t it be easier to just avoid the arctic/antarctic? Why insist they must bend their religion? We’re talking about people that have personal convictions so strong they keep two refrigerators, won’t drive a car on Saturday, etc. That’s a serious pain in the ass. Avoiding Barrow Alaska seems more of a plus than a hardship.

And if they can’t avoid going, no need to make up new rules. I’m pretty sure Judaism has come to grips with unavoidable transgressions.

My wife, whose has family from Finland, says that Jewish communities north of the arctic circle in Norway simply go by the sundown time in the nearest Jewish community south of the line. That kinda begs the question though of how far below the arctic circle do you have to get before you can actually have it dark enough to see 3 stars, the stricter definition of nightfall than sunset.

4 Likes

No more tail-snout cuisine out of obligation, and lots of squeeze-tubes of whatever sort the day produces as evidence you haven’t hit out for vegan harder. On the other hand maybe some of the lovage will come with higher brain functions you can enjoy (100% daily supply of no obligate caring included! Now with ability to pick out one aesthetic feature and stop!)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.