Oscar Screener Piracy, 2003-2022

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2022/02/09/oscar-screener-piracy-2003-2022.html

2 Likes

So it’s all going according to the plan.

4 Likes

Excellent, I haven’t sailed into the Bay in quite some time, time to pick out some good loot.

4 Likes

When I lived in Russia, several of the DVDs I watched had a scroller stating something like “Academy Copy Only Do Not Distribute.”

I also remember watching Men In Black II with several unfinished scenes, including one with a boom mike visible next to Will Smith, and scenes without the CGI. The boom mike was in a green room. I also watched it before my friends in the US.

Felt a bit like Barbosa, I did. Yarr…”

3 Likes

(for example, Dune leaked more than a month before it was even on general release

Not going to open the spreadsheet on my phone so I’m asking here whether that is general release in America? Because I saw it about a month before people in America (or the UK) did. I’d already forgotten most of my talking points about the movie when the internet erupted with hot takes. I wouldn’t be surprised if screeners were sent out in parallel with the European release rather than the American one.

1 Like

Most of the data is referring to US releases, so I think that’s largely the metric being tracked here. It’s interesting to see how much gets leaked in various formats early. This has always really made me wonder just how all that happens… I assume the answer is “Space Magic” (my go-to), but it’s always fascinating to see how quick things can occur.

1 Like

Yes, the rise of streaming prices and so many platforms has made the torrent sites popular again. It’s like the executives never understood why this happens.

2 Likes

" Oscar Screener Piracy, 2003-2022"

I read this as is an epitaph…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.