Ottawa bridge attracts spiders that cast giant shadows

Originally published at: Ottawa bridge attracts spiders that cast giant shadows | Boing Boing

5 Likes

:spider: So what’s the problem again? :spider:

12 Likes

Meanwhile, over in Toronto:

Enemy

20 Likes

the spider thing is a bonus imo, but that’s not the only “wee problem” with this bridge.

it’s a giant white light shining into your eyes that’ll ruin your night-vision and is, from certain angles, impossible to avoid looking at. just because you can do a thing doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. can we please stop trying to turn night into day? it’s fucking up everyone’s bio-rhythm (ok, [citation needed] but I believe it to be true. in any event, I do find bright lights at night highly annoying.)

20 Likes

That’s not a bug, that’s a spider feature!

And waterways tend to also be wildlife corridors, where a lot of artificial light is not really a good idea.

13 Likes

That’s funny because that looks similar to one of the other spider attractions in Ottawa:

It’s called Maman and it’s at the National Gallery of Canada.

11 Likes

I guess I still don’t quite get it. I can see light shining from underneath, and spiders webbing across the light, would cast giant shadows upwards. But how did the shadow get down to the surface?

1 Like

Oh! How could I have forgotten this huge spider which was in Ottawa a few years ago:

It fought a dragon…

6 Likes

Bad news for pollinators

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.