We need a "science of the night"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/20/we-need-a-science-of-the-night.html

9 Likes

And also turn off those stupid lights in NYC.

5 Likes

I’ve been running a lifetime longitudinal study that suggests strongly that the nighttime is the right time for sleeping.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Bugs need the dark, too:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00665-7

J Geils Band are also fans:

6 Likes

Trying to think of a “Because the night belongs to scientists” pun.

11 Likes

So the “science of the night” would study the creatures of the night, yes?

(I’m sorry, I really am. But ever since seeing the topic title I’ve been trying to chase that earworm out of my head. So I’m sharing it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

8 Likes

Bingo.

I personally noted the slow disappearance of insect populations because I remember being wowed by hundreds of moths flying around a streetlamp in rural New Hampshire when I was a child, but when I’m back there now I see hardly any (plus I don’t get a car covered in dead bugs on long summer trips like we used to when I was a kid.)

7 Likes

Riddick approves.

10 Likes

Just bear in mind that every group of terrestrial chordates that survived the Cretaceous did so because they were insectivores.

6 Likes

Well that’s . . uhhh . . . what’s a word for the opposite of “comforting”?

4 Likes

Me.  

6 Likes

Do you want to discover vampires? Because that’s how you discover vampires.

5 Likes

is that low light or the highlight

But what’s the strategy for surviving the Cretinous Period?

Will there be opera?

3 Likes

That’s also because of introduced European Tachinid flies that eat army worms (ag pests) but also attack any other moth or butterfly.

1 Like

Andrew Lloyd Webber is not opera.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I have a different earworm

3 Likes

No medical studies have been done on night shift workers? That’s pretty amazing. Sad but amazing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.