Our puny human brains are terrible at thinking about the future (and what to do about it)

Ok, I’ll get back to you in a decade.

3 Likes

Something else that kinda sticks in my craw about this is that the future is 99.9999% out of your hands. Thinking of my dad’s mantra of “don’t worry about things you can’t do anything about”, I’d suggest that the most productive use of your neuron’s time is thinking about your future, instead of some sort of general societal future that you’ll have effectively no say in.

1 Like

When I was in sixth grade, I suddenly realized that I was going to be around in the fabulous year of TWO THOUSAND. I sat down and figured out how old I’d be, and figured I’d be in my early 40s and immediately lost enthusiasm, reasoning that by the time I reached that age, I wouldn’t really care about stuff any more anyway.

2 Likes

“your brain acts as if your future self is someone you don’t know very well”

With all due respect - another forum I use to post on quite a lot has an “No shit, Sherlock” icon for this sort of wisdom.
The only way to know your future self now would be actually meeting your future self by using a time machine. And there are at least 10 Reasons Why Time Travel is No Good.

If I meet myself in this manner, be it time travel, transporter accident, or alternate reality … well, I’ll freely admit that we might not leave the house for a while. Even longer if one of my (our) partners are available to join us!

Yeah, that would be one sweet LAN party …

3 Likes

The future of dogs?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.