Owner of civil war reenactment business sues school district that canceled field trips after his far-right social media came to light

According to the article, he does all sorts of historical re-enactments, not just the civil war…

@TornPaperNapkin beat me to it…

5 Likes

From his filing:

In the particular context of Twitter – especially when an interlocutor becomes sufficiently carried away by indignation at Mr. Riley’s generally conservative politics to disparage his age, ethnicity, and gender, frequently with liberal torrents of four-lettered vitriol – his tone may fall even farther below George Will/Hendrik Hertzberg levels.

See, it’s not even his fault. It’s because the internet is too mean for sensitive white men.

12 Likes

tumblr_m6k2ldSGOO1qzyj5fo1_500

12 Likes

There. I fixed it for you. I have never “lost” with any of my comments about race despite very much being a white guy.

15 Likes

4 Likes

As someone who considers Claremont her home town, this story is so hilarious. Claremont is a college town with lots of money and lots of cranky old retired professors just DYING for a fight. It’s often compared to Berkeley, and while its politics aren’t quite that liberal, it definitely skews that way, especially when compared to its neighbors.

In short, this is a liberal, wealthy, politically active, and highly educated town. Dude picked The Wrong Town To Sue. I’m queuing up some popcorn eating gifs…

12 Likes

Just as he has the right - of any business - to refuse to serve certain customers for any reason he likes (e.g. they may be libtards or pussies), any customer has the right to patronise or not patronise any business at all for any reason they like (e.g. it might be run by an odious piece of shit)

So apart from being an odious peice of shit, the man’s an idiot, as he seems not to understand this.

If they were into trolling, the schools should book some visits there and ask for a classroom to use to tell kids, after the re-enactment - about how the civil war was about slavery and the fight continues today in forms such as Black Lives Matter and similar. He’d soon refuse to entertain their custom … and then they could sue him! :wink:

8 Likes

I was gonna say, Claremont Unified was MY school district and I don’t remember Civil War Re-enactments as part of the curriculum. It must be new (that is, something they started within the last quarter century or so).

Glad to see they yanked the program anyway. Go Wolfpack!

(@jakeline did you ever have Mr. LaBererre for social studies at CHS? He’s the only neoconservative dick I remember from High School who would have been sympathetic to the Lost Cause.)

7 Likes

Ten bucks says he’s got at least one uniform in his wardrobe adorned with a swastika.

7 Likes

You know, for re-enactments… /s

[ETA] Also, for some reason, it reminds me of Dean Norris’ character (Hank from Breaking Bad) in this movie…

Which has a very good twist ending, and also Bruno Ganz was in it…

6 Likes

26 posts were split to a new topic: Theoretical racism

Ever notice how most Civil War re-enactors only want to play the losing side of the war?

8 Likes

Trying to understand this mess. This guy is of the opinion that he has a constitutional right to a couple millon in taxpayer dollars? Under what contact, agreement or other binding document? I would imagine CA has a plethora of “educational a/o cultural sites” that would like to make that same claim. How many millions do the various school districts have to throw around, and why is he more entitled than any of the other sites? Oh, because he is a rich white racist asshole? Well, are no other sites also run by rich, racist, white assholes? Where is the equality here? Will no one think of the poor oppressed rich white racist assholes? I started thinking of a good acronym for that sort of organization, but I think RNC beat me to it.

10 Likes

It will be, once he loses his suit and all appeals.

4 Likes

Because nothing says supremacy like being an employee in an organization that can trade you like property.

5 Likes

The reality is what it is, not some far-fetched hypothetical scenario.

As a person of color and a woman, I am done doing the ‘heavy lifting’ for anyone else, and I am done giving the benefit of the doubt to those who not only don’t deserve it, but who would undoubtedly never even think about affording me the same benefit, under any circumstances.

Fuck that noise.

15 Likes

Too logical for their consideration.

6 Likes

totally not racist, nothing to see here

8 Likes

12 Likes

I think California’s great Civil War battle was held at Jacksonville, Oregon where the wives of the combatants grabbed their husbands by the ear and dragged them home, thus ending the battle, but not before much (really lousy) booze had been consumed.

4 Likes