Owner of civil war reenactment business sues school district that canceled field trips after his far-right social media came to light

The only re-enactors I know are scholarly types who research the heck out of the battle, the campaign, the war and the social, legal and political environments that accompanied it. They also can tell you in great detail what it was like to die of a gut wound. I doubt that this clown would fit in with those historians.

1 Like

LeBron James”? I thought he played basketball? He’s part of the Black Supremacy conspiracy? Is that why I see people call him a GOAT? Is that some sort of title?

Also, apple picking and camping and watching a fake battle sounds like it would be hella fun for some city kids. Too bad this guy is a Class A Level 9000 douche. :confused:

That one blew my mind too!

As far as I understand the legal argument, it is that the school is a government institution and therefore must not infringe his 1st Amendment right to free speech by refusing to patronize his re-enactment farm because he makes racist statements on social media.

It makes a kind of sense, I suppose…

If you make a pamphlet, is the government compelled to buy them in bulk, just to prove that they are not in conflict with the 1st Amendment?

Of course not.

6 Likes

Just to clarify the detail of his dubious argument - he is alleging that the government has infringed his rights by instructing schools not to send kids to his farm.

So the argument is individual schools deciding for their own reasons not to patronise his farm is a-ok; the state telling schools that they must not do so because of stuff he has said is illegal state suppression of his freedom of speech.

Still dubious but a little more nuanced.

Also of course lovely stuff for libertarians.

3 Likes

Apparently I have been misreading the First Amendment for years. I had no idea it said the state was compelled to provide a captive audience for protected speech. Interesting. And by interesting I mean how the fuck is this not happening in Florida?

4 Likes

That may be his argument, but it’s not nuanced, and he will never make the case that some of his quotes indicate the state does not have clear and justifiable reasons to question his value as a provider of historical interpretation to groups of kids.

"…I realize this world is flawed by virtue of its children, most of whom are the spiritual children of the devil.”

“Let the teachers teach, by showing the kids how to kill a bad guy”

"When a person of color scolds you for being white, give him a taste of his own medicine and ask him how it feels? If he’s hurt by it, give him a hug. If he refuses to abide by a common standard, it might just be time to stock up on weapons.

And he will also find it hard to prove conspiracy by school boards, when this was prompted by justifiable complaints from parents.

7 Likes

I think that’s what he’s trying to prove. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No, not really. By that logic, every owner of every venue in the state can argue that the schols “must” patronize them or risk being accused of FA violation. If he is really pulling in a couple million bucks a year, I am certain others would love to make that same argument.

3 Likes

I’d call that a distinction without a difference and say @tuhu’s counterpoint still applies, though. The whole thing is nuts regardless of the nuance. That’s not to say the Supreme Court won’t side with the guy.

2 Likes

Sure, especially at official sites like Colonial Williamsburg, etc. But of course, you might know some, but you don’t know them all. We should always be wary of attributing to an entire population what we know from a select sample, yeah?

4 Likes

Oh yeah. Totally.

I’m just the kind of pedant who likes to be sure we all know exactly the kind of nuts we’re talking about.

5 Likes

Me too! I’m one of those!

Jim Crow for White Daddies

This one is especially great, because he bemoans the fact that educational institutions aren’t cracking down on people’s comments outside the classrooms.

Teach Your Children Well.

And this has absolutely no bearing on his filing at all, but I hope everyone in the world can learn that…

"I dated a Korean American girl in high school and I had a romantic fling with a black woman in college. "

…is not a magic credential in an essay when you’re explaining that racism is over in America.

11 Likes

That means nothing; bigots make personal exceptions all the time.

14 Likes

You are right. And this guy is just that particular kind of basic bigot that thinks his dating history means he couldn’t be racist, while being totally racist.

9 Likes

Especially when you’re going to closely follow it with this whopper:

10 Likes

I love how people who say this kind of shit just expect us to believe that people don’t have sex with people they also fundamentally disrespect.

13 Likes

My own grandmother made personal exceptions for us, her Mixed grandkids, all my life; to the point where I deluded myself into believing she’d ‘gotten over her bigotry…’

Until I found out as a young adult that she hadn’t.

She’d just been making highly selective exceptions.

I love her dearly, to this day… but she was still prejudiced against other Black folks, particularly Black men.

13 Likes

Never mind, in one place it was,

“I dated a Korean woman in college.”

in another it’s,

"I dated a Korean American girl in high school and I had a romantic fling with a black woman in college. "

Whatever happened or didn’t happen, it doesn’t matter. I only wanted to share that whatever argument this guy currently claims to be making about respecting free speech, he is happy to call for “remonstrance” by schools against people he doesn’t agree with, and is happy to give ugly advice about racial issues, up to and including advice to consider stockpiling weapons.

6 Likes
1 Like