Pacific Northwest measles outbreak spreads

And their neighbors’ lives, and their neighbors’ kids’ lives, and especially the lives of anybody in their area who are immuno-compromised.

12 Likes

C’mon people, this is the wonder of natural selection at work. If your kid is vaccinated, he won’t catch measles from someone who isn’t. But eventually (4+ generations) any unvaccinated survivors will have more immunity and will eventually rule the earth (like it or not).

Not sure if you’re serious or not but this is absolutely not true.

6 Likes

Also, measles vaccine is not 100% effective, only about 97%. That means there are vaccinated people who are still vulnerable to the disease.

6 Likes

No offense to you personally, but I whish we would stop throwing those memes at an audience which can’t tell the difference between herd immunity and individual immunity. Also (and I can’t stress this enough so I will scream) this perpetuates the misconception that unvaccinated children are one who will die.

Unvaccinated children will likely not die, and may not even get sick. But people with compromised immune systems or cumulative conditions will die.

If you are not vaccinating your child, you are an antisocial parasite likely killing innocent people without even knowing.

Your offspring is a danger to every organ transplanted person, to people undergoing chemo, and to everyone else with a weakened immune system.

16 Likes

Add Monroes County (Rochester) in upstate NY to the list of places with an outbreak. Common thread among the cases here is the kids were not vaccinated (#FFS :unamused:) (https://www.wxxinews.org/post/measles-cluster-monroe-county-grows-7-linked-unvaccinated-children).

1 Like

There were whole great gobs of generations without a vaccine and folks routinely got measles, suffered, were blinded, and died. Not a good recipe for ruling the earth.

7 Likes

Let’s not forget the largest and most helpless of the at-risk groups, babies under 12 mos of age who cannot be vaccinated due to age yet.

13 Likes
  1. It’s “Weisberger.”
  2. He didn’t pen the comic.
  3. He posted the comic because it is an amusing send-up of anti-vaxxers.
  4. No one’s attacking your child. Relax.
3 Likes

Washington State legislators are working on that (removing exemptions outside of medical), although it’s already been met with a crap ton of anti-vax protests.

3 Likes

It would allow for religious exemptions though. I predict the swift arrival of the Our Lady of the Anti-Vax congregation in the state.

4 Likes

Aaaaargh. (picard facepalm)

2 Likes

This is true, despite the fact that there is literally no established religion that has an issue with vaccines. None. Nada. Zilch. And yet this trope persists. Sigh.

8 Likes

My friend, this is America. Creating an official religion is so easy, John Oliver founded his very own in front of his live audience. If there isn’t an anti-vax religion, there soon will be.

7 Likes

Sigh, yes, way too true. And as I posted that, I realized that I actually don’t know if Scientology (for those who consider it a religion) is OK with vaccines or not. I suppose I should have said “major religions in the US,” but I am certain there actually is one out there somewhere. And that it is about to get a significant number of superficial adherents. :rage:

8 Likes

The Christian Scientists don’t believe in disease at all, which has meant torturous, completely preventable deaths via malnutrition and dehydration for more than a few kids unfortunate enough to have such credulous twits as parents. I don’t think the Church of Christ, Scientist has an official position on vaccines, though it seems unlikely that the compliance rate among adherents is very high.

7 Likes

Except that children, particularly infants, do die, for example of pertussis, and the unvaccinated individuals are more likely than the unvaccinated to (a) become infected, and (b) die of infection. Children’s immune systems do not function as well as adults because they are, much like the skeleton, still being built. Yes vaccinated children can get sick, and yes children who get sick of measles, mumps, pertussis, etc. can survive the disease, but children are properly a population of concern specific to vaccines and to vaccination policies.

9 Likes

You are barking up the wrong tree, cat.
I’m very much in agreement with what you write.

What I like to stress is that the likelihood that an unvaccinated child carries and spreads preventable and potentially deadly diseases is much higher than dieing themselves. Children have a working immune system, that’s why vaccinations work in the first place. Other people, however, do not have the same opportunity because their immune system is ‘compromised’.

2 Likes

Aw… sorry if that seemed not in the spirit of clarifying and amplifying. I appreciate your contribs LutherBlisset.

That said: barking? BARKING?! Floof-a-tails, hissy fits, and claws at dawn, sir!

6 Likes

Sorry, seem to have misread your intentions.

And as they say:

8 Likes