Palatable dishes from McDonald's feedstock

Hush your mouth, I love the Haunted Mansion stuff.

3 Likes

Did Maccas actually describe the challenge as creating ‘palatable’ food? With the attendant silent assertion that their treatment is something else? Because that’s some frank shit right there if they did.

The guy went from mainly eating the sorts of meals his vegan partner cooked to scoffing down a supersized meal including a quarter pounder with cheese. You’re talking a meal that was not only huge, but loaded with salt and fat; both ingredients which will upset a stomach that is not acclimatised to them.

4 Likes

I rarely eat McDonalds or fast food, maybe once every 1-2 months. However, there is something about conversations like this which produce a genuine urge to go eat their crappy food.

I honestly don’t know what it is… Perhaps just thinking about their objectively gross and unhealthy manufactured food is enough to trigger my brain’s MOAR urges for it, even when the conversation is putting the food in a negative light…

I don’t know… but damn, I could go for some peanut oil and kosher salt fries right now…

3 Likes

Dominos Pizza here are running a promotion for their high-end pizza, and they’re making a particular point of describing the ingredients as “resteraunt quality.”

Nice. but, uh, guys? What about your other pizzas? What the frack are they made of? /barf/

4 Likes

Domino’s made a splash a few years ago by reformulating their pizza, and publicly admitting they were doing it because it sucked so hard before.

1 Like

It also makes me wonder which one the US is stuck with…

the beef dish is the only big offender. the others could mostly be made (minus the presentation and some seasonings) with the stuff that a normal McDonald’s gets in the morning (not sure about the whole egg, but at least the tortilla española could be made from egg mix). i think that should count.

McDonald’s has every incentive to not serve dangerous (rotten, etc.) food, or even grosser-than-normal food, since one incident anywhere will possibly, through media and the internet, depress sales everywhere. The scope of that is almost mind-boggling, really.

And, indeed, food at McDonald’s is pretty ‘safe’, if your only concern is to avoid immediate poisoning (i mean real food poisoning, not ‘sugar is a poison, omg’ nonsense). It won’t be good for you in the long-run (or if you’re adapting from a better diet), but statistically speaking, you’re safer for the day at McDonald’s than almost anywhere else, including (probably) cooking at home, unless you are very meticulous in testing your ingredients.

You should google some of the anti-Spurlock sites, watch one of the reply movies, or even read the Wikipedia entry on Super Size Me. His film is basically pointless. The lunatic niche profit-seeking hack was eating 5,000 calories per day on average for a month. It doesn’t matter if that’s pink-slime hamburgers, filet mignon, or organic quinoa; that is going to screw you up, unless you’re training for the olympics.

I mean, he forced himself to eat even when he was feeling ill and nauseous (and even showed it in the movie), essentially force-feeding himself. Who even does that? What is he purporting to be “accurate” to? He was eating like someone with a serious mental disorder, and we already know those are dangerous.

(Yes, I’ve seen the movie. I enjoyed it enough while I was watching it, but over the next week or so, it got more and more irritating to me. Without being an alleged documentary, it would just be a guy physically and mentally damaging himself. Think about that. At least Jackass took some level of effort and training.)

3 Likes

So what´s the message here? “An accomplished chef who puts time and thought into it can actually make something reasonably edible out of the shit we´re serving. For the main dish however, he has to use raw ingredients (beef), because nobody should be subjected exclusively to our highly processed crap for a whole evening. Also, it goes without saying that this stuff is only for a select few people anyway, ther rest of you can continue eating crap for all we care. Enjoy your meal!”

The event was clearly for heavy investors and vips, so, yeah, that’s about right. The negative buzz about McDonald’s these days is that their food is intrinsically poisonous and “not even food.” This is psy-ops to counter that perception for the “select few” who attended, and assure them that McD’s is still a good investment: “quit bitching, I had McDonald’s beef and it’s great, you’re just whining because you’re poor enough to eat hamburgers and not steak.”

The rest of us are getting advertisements with a similar strategy (not message; ads don’t have messages. messages convey information.)

Judging from your nick, you probably know what you´re talking about.

You’re surprised that a site that posts about Disney twice a day is posting about McDonald’s? This isn’t exactly a ‘high culture’ blog.

The thing is, it’s not just any beef, it’s beef that is specifically raised to McDonald’s specifications for making burger patties. I wish I could remember the name of the documentary that mentioned this (it wasn’t Supersize Me), but a lot of food produced in the US tastes the way it does because large corporations like McDonald’s create huge demand for very specific ingredients and the agricultural industry has developed around catering to those demands.

1 Like

Gather 'round while I tell you the tale of whence my sordid sobriquet.

It’s from AD&D by way of Snoop Doggy Dogg. In the 1st ed. Monster Manual, one of the lower tiers of demons was described as having awful names like “Broken Tail” and “Dog Retch”. My friends and I thought this was funny, and around this time, Snoop was making his debut (yeah, I’m old). So, being what are now called “tweens,” we interpolated the demonic rapper Retch Doggy Dogg, and much laughs were had. It caught on, and the eventually the connection with Snoop faded, so it got shortened to “Retch Dog,” and became a sort of generic nickname with just a touch of ironic deprecation: “Hey, Retch Dog, don’t forget to bring your copy of the Player’s Handbook,” and so on. Being mostly verbal at this point, and being used casually in a very specific way, the space was superfluous, and so: “retchdog.”

I eventually chose it as my general username because I was tired of the trying-to-be-cool handles I used in the BBS days (days which overlapped with the above, though I wouldn’t dare have used it then). It’s personal, but obscure, strange, and somewhat repulsive. I’ve wanted to tell this story, but also have been curious to see if anyone would ever make the connection with AD&D. However, a few people have recently made references to its literal meaning, so here we are.

2 Likes

It’s actually a complex socio-economic issue.

1 Like

I guess I’m the only one who would have loved to take part in this challenge just to meet the host.

I laugh, only because we must be around the same age, and these sorts of shenanigans aren’t isolated. Very good friends of mine had a band of minstrels that would show up in all those crazy D&D taverns full of adventurers.

Skull Thieves & Rhythym

Named, of course, after Bone Thugs and Harmony.

1 Like

I think his movie is mostly stupid, but his point – and the meaning behind the title – was that he got an item off the regular menu and then only “upgraded” if he was asked, and he always accepted. That led to portions that were often way too big, as you pointed out, but that was also his point. You could choose to eat somewhat healthfully at McDonalds (and other fast food places), but they encourage you to buy more food for just a small amount more money.

Yeah, I agree, the upsell is vile. It’s hard to not go for “more!” I don’t want to keep going on about this, but the “must eat three meals a day” kinda kills that point. If you pigout at lunch, you’ll feel awful for the whole day, but you’re definitely not going to be looking forward to cramming another bomb in your mouth at dinner. (shrug) According to wikipedia, he also only got offered to supersize a total of nine times; that’s like ~200 extra calories per day on average.

Practically speaking, though, the value menu kinda self-sabotages their plot. Usually, the ounces-per-dollar on value-size things is pretty close to the large size, and it’s, of course, cheaper as an item.

added: maybe it’s because I’m in a big city, but super-sizing is pretty expensive relative to the base cost. It doesn’t feel like a small amount of money to me.