Panthro is black

This is something white people say a lot more often than black people. Who experiences race?

8 Likes

Um, okay. Is someone trying to make this a “thing”?

White guy gets mugged and when the police are taking the report he says “He had on white sneakers, blue jeans, a red and white plaid shirt and a black baseball cap.” And the police officer asks him “What was his race?” to which the white mans says “I don’t see color.”

Panthers aren’t black though.

Black Panthers are black - tautologically so - but they are called black panthers because panthers come in many different colours and designs. A Black Panther from Africa isn’t even the same species as a Black Panther from South America - they are actually just black coloured leopards and jaguars, respectively.
The North American Panther - the cougar - isn’t even available in black at all.

1 Like

Sure, there are stereotypical black voices, but that doesn’t mean they accurately represent anyone. When I was a kid I would occasionally wonder why Cleavon Little sounded so much like some members of my Scandinavian-white family, and it was only later that I found out that he grew up in San Diego just like I did, and that seemed to color his speech inflections more than any racial factor.

But accents and inflections and dialects and speech mannerisms are all simply tools in a versatile actor’s toolbox. I don’t think that voice alone gives any indication of a speaker’s race or ethnic background.

2 Likes

If you hand a set of lines to a group of competent voice actors of many races, and ask them to all read the lines using the same diction, inflection and tone as each other (have them work it out), they’ll be able to all sound essentially the same.

Now, with film and tv actors, I don’t know if this is true. But from watching a lot of documentaries on voice acting, and knowing some voice actors, they all seem to say that all “stereotypical voices” are the first ones you learn to copy. Because they’re strained and highly inflected.

It’s easy to copy a strained voice. That’s why everyone can do Arnold Schwarzenegger from T2. That’s why Spongebob is easy to copy. That’s why URL’s voice from Futurama is so easy to copy (in fact URL who sounds like Barry White, is voiced by John DiMaggio, one of the whitest men to walk the Earth.)

2 Likes

Panthro’s coding comes from early on, too; per Hear the Roar! The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to the Hit 1980s Series Thundercats by David Crichton, Len Starr’s original production notes state that “His voice should be deep and dignified while suggesting the black culture.” Not sure if the broader facial features Ms. Jones describes were present on Ted Wolf’s initial sketch or not, but one assumes, as other commenters have already noted, that Panthro is black because panthers are black.

(Actually, as FirstLast notes, “panther” is a blanket term used for multiple different kinds of big cat, but it’s most commonly used to refer to “black panthers”, which can be either jaguars or leopards. I suppose we can assume that Panthro is a leopard, since there’s already a Jaga.)

The Crichton book is highly recommended to all Thundercats fans, by the way; as far as I know it was only ever published in the UK (hence the spelling of unauthorised), but it’s not hard to find an imported copy on Amazon or wherever. It’s as thorough a history of the show as anybody’s ever written, and has interviews with as many primary sources as Crichton could get ahold of.

1 Like

I afraid this thread just took a hard turn into serious racial identity, albeit with cartoon feline hominids and big cats. In this context, I immediately drew parallels between what you’re saying about genus panthera and when white people that say, “well I’m an an Anerican, and all humans came from Africa, so I’m African-American too,” or “Why does Obama say he’s white? He’s equally white.” (Not that I have any reason to believe that you would actually say these things, but I couldn’t help but draw parallel to the patently trivial racial identity of a fictional non-human character.) In both cases, the statements are undeniably technically true, but also entirely irrelevant. No one outside of a biologist studying genus panthera, or a bar trivia participant thinks this way. When the average person hears “panther” they don’t think “tiger” or “leopard”, they think “large black cat.”

Google proves this https://www.google.com/search?q=panther .
The fact that this is a common misconception proves this.

It’s this visceral connection of “Panther” :arrow_right:️ “Black panther (cat)” :arrow_right:️ “Black Panther (political)” :arrow_right:️ “Black man” is what the cartoonists were going for, and that’s what they got.

The fact that panthers are not all black is not irrelevant to the statement that ‘of course Panthro is black, he’s a panther’ because it is one predicated on false assumptions of an othered group, and the fact that you retort with “well most people think that so it’s obviously true enough” just highlights the absurd parallel with racial identity that you’ve drawn.

Yes, Panthro is an obviously coded black character based on a black panther in the decade following the Black Panther Party’s height of cultural impact. Yes, you can get a large amount of Google hits showing that most people believe all panthers to be black (the top links for me are the Wikipedia page saying it’s a cougar, and National Geographic saying it’s just a term for a large black cat in their blurbs) - What does the average person think about when hearing “terrorist” or “thug”?
None of that means all panthers are black. Stop enforcing your species normative agenda and check your privilege. You can be an ally or an opponent - either way you don’t get to decide how panthers self-identify.

6 Likes

Stop being pantherist.

2 Likes

But only some lion gets to command the Sword of Omens.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Inflections and accents and mannerisms aside, black men do tend* to have deeper voices. Larynxes, sinuses, etc., exhibit differences among “races,” and why wouldn’t they? Skin and hair and facial dimensions obviously do. There’s not that much difference between identifying someone’s race based on visual markers and identifying it by aural qualities or DNA analysis.

*Tend - it should go without saying that this is a generalization.

1 Like

Hmm. I read the headline as “Panthro is back”. This is somewhat disappointing, though I guess it’s more informative.

2 Likes

Shake: “C’mon dog. You’re into this. You’re black”
Frylock: [silence]
Shake: “You sound black.”
Frylock: [silence]
Shake “Where are you from?”

3 Likes

Isn’t there? I’d be interested to see how much those factors differ in reliability of prediction. No doubt both fall short of DNA analysis, and I have no doubt that both can be reasonably strong indicators, but how one speaks is, I’ve always assumed, more environmentally-influenced than how one looks. I get the biological factors like timbre and pitch, but otherwise…

1 Like

Just look at Key and Peele. They’re black guys who can imitate practically anyone. While they may have particular acting talents that makes it an easier task, I have a hard time believing it’s entirely a genetic trait. I’ve known too many black people who can imitate my own personal voice to a high degree to believe it’s even mostly genetic.

I think a lot of what makes “black people sound black” or “Asian people sound Asian” or “white people sound white” is an affectation caused by environmental factors during language development. Just listen to podcasts.

I listen to The Scathing Atheist podcast, and have been for about a year now, but my mental images of Heath Enright and Noah Lugeons were completely different from what I saw when I watched their Roast of God a few days ago. While I couldn’t have gotten their race wrong (they both mention their pasty complexion), I did get other factors of their appearance incredibly wrong.

Same goes for Garrison Keillor, who I actually did think was black until I saw the Prairie Home Companion movie.

1 Like

@FirstLast may have corrected you on objective truth, but I hear you, brother.

1 Like

I think it’s as much cultural as anything else - genetics doesn’t explain why Liverpudlians get squeakier the more working-class they are.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s why Schizz posted it, isn’t it?