Papadopoulos allegedly told confidant in 2016 he was pursuing Russia deal that would help Trump: Report

The fact that an article has to imply it with references to Pelosi’s “nods” to the investigation playing out as maybe, possibly leading to an impeachment – during a period when dozens have been indicted – shows how typically crappy she and the rest of the Dem establishment are at messaging and inspiring confidence in the party’s supporters that they’ll do something. The GOP gets this – their positions may be horrible and insanely partisan, but they never look wishy-washy and timid.

Mueller has to be careful and take his time. The Dems should wait until his report is released before initiating impeachment proceedings. But there is no reason they can’t make their intentions in that regard crystal clear now.

3 Likes

Okay, but what if the report ends up being more Clinton BJ level than Nixon-level? Saying that you’ll basically begin impeachment proceedings once the report is issued ties your hands. People want blood, I get that, but the party’s supporters also want to see meaningful legislation on health care, electoral reform, immigration, living wages and a number of other issues.

I don’t know that the messaging coming from the party is “wishy-washy” - it seemed good enough to deliver a resounding victory in the midterms, and the Democrats who won in competitive districts focused on the issues that were important to their constituents, not impeachment.

None of this is meant to defend Pelosi, my opinion is just that it’s not the right time to focus on impeachment, and unless the report is really substantial (with more evidence of collusion than we’ve seen so far) then their chances of defeating Trump are better in an election than through an impeachment process that could backfire on them.

I think we know where the current investigation falls on that spectrum.

Saying you’ll begin impeachment proceedings if the report shows a consistent pattern of the administration engaging in high crimes and misdemeanors doesn’t tie anyone’s hands. It would cost her nothing, but Pelosi can’t bring herself to do that. It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that the Dem establishment is escaping its long pattern of snatching defeat from the jews of victory.

Making a clear statement about the intent and timing re: impeachment doesn’t preclude focusing on those issues. In fact, doing so allows the party to table it with a firm and resolute promise that it will be handled so that they can focus on the other legislation.

On that issue it is.

1 Like

I thought he was an anarcho-communist theorist during that time.

4 Likes

So that’s why George R.R. Martin hasn’t finished book 7 of A Song of Ice and Fire

3 Likes

5 Likes

Shouldn’t the signs be wordier, if they’re Martin? And the person would be in prison for a year by the time he finished the sign.

1 Like

I guess it’s just my week for spit take gifs. I might as well just make it an auto-response.

2 Likes

law-order-lie_detector-lie_detectors-medical_exams-medical_examinations-medical_tests-shrn208_low

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.