Parallel parking is easy

the car itself presented every possible advantage: hatchback, short wheelbase, presumably awesome turning radius. if only the driver could capitalize on/implement these advantages. was anyone else waving their hands and attempting to speak instructions to their screen like I did?

2 Likes

My mom had six kids who took their driving test in California, four boys and two girls. I was the only boy who passed on the first try (both the girls did). My brother Mick ran into a Bekins moving van on his second attempt, necessitating a third try later on.

And I passed by the skin of my teeth. My sister Lisa took her test some 15 months before I did, at the old DMV office in La Mesa. I took my test at the brand-new El Cajon office, on Graves Ave. Part of the test route included the section of Greenfield Drive that approaches Hwy 67, and the right lane ends shortly before the overpass, necessitating a lane change. I didn’t signal, since the two lanes pretty smoothly merged into each other and there wasn’t anyone else on my side of the road anyway. Testing Guy got all bent outta shape about that, but grudgingly passed me.

Funny how memories like that stick with you, even 26 years later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.