Paralyzed, partially deaf-blind teen with brain tumor beaten bloody by TSA

I know. The TSA has a “blame the victim” attitude when I’m not sure phoning ahead would have done anything.

Maybe we should all phone ahead and tell the TSA that authority figures will trigger an uncontrollable urge not to cooperate.

14 Likes

Well, this person is clearly a worthless shitstain, and it’s good that this article is the first google hit for her name, but the article should also include the names of all of the TSA agents involved in the incident, including the ones who restrained the mother, and the ones who stood by and didn’t stop them, since it’s not like rule of law applies to uniformed thugs, permanent infamy on the internet is the best we can really hope for right now.

6 Likes

I think it’s more like the training doesn’t weed out those who already have the switch jammed to off.

4 Likes

Well, somebody is entitled to a hefty settlement. Hey TSA see you in court. Or a couple of million dollars in a settlement can quickly remove the obligation to appear in court. I think millions would be a just starting point to a settlement for the unwarranted bloody beating of a disabled woman . However, 50 million is actually becoming the norm these days. Society is becoming less tolerant of paid brutish goons.

Not really, since it’s us who’s going to be paying the settlement, not them. Less tolerant would be if they were individually liable, so that even if we don’t have enough rule of law to convict them, they could at least be impoverished for the rest of their lives.

5 Likes

Remember folks, the TSA has never once in its entire existence apprehended someone who was then convicted on a terrorism related charge.

In practice the War on Terror is actually a War on Dignity.

7 Likes

Check out the application for the job of TSA agent. It is full of warnings that you will be required to have zero tolerance for any deviation from SOP - heavy on the implication not to apply for the position if you can’t abide by that.

2 Likes

And it doesn’t even have to be a very big personal liability – even a 1 or 2% contribution would make agents at least aware that there’s some downside to behaving like a jackboot.

3 Likes

So you go home and sleep well that night, knowing that you did your manly best and protected America by gang-beating beating a partially paralyzed mentally handicapped girl. You special person you. (Hint: its called “antisocial personality disorder” in the DSM IV, it used be called “psychopathy,” and its really really easy to screen for actually, god bless the TSA hiring process.)

Nuremburg principles: following orders is not an excuse, and those who witness but stand by and do nothing are culpable too. These apply to Nazis, but not to TSA officers of course. Cuz they’re keeping us safe from the terrorists, god bless 'em.

11 Likes

A TSA Recruitment Officer stands in front of a thirty-seat classroom filled with candidates:

TSA Officer: Alright, who here has absolutely no reservations about becoming a TSA Checkpoint Agent?

[28 people raise their hands. A hesitant 29th follows.]

TSA Officer: [looks at remaining candidate, who is now staring at his desk] You. [Candidate looks up] You stay. The rest of you, [points his finger at the door] get the hell out of my classroom.

In a just world, this would be the method for TSA recruitment.
In an even more just world, the TSA wouldn’t exist.

13 Likes

So how much are class-action lawsuits against the TSA going to need to cost the government before they consider reform? Several billion?

4 Likes

Oh sure. Just yesterday I read this in the Washington Post:

“Stop picking on the TSA. Were just doing our jobs.”

I’ll just go throw up now.

16 Likes

When they stop being authoritative dickweeds I will happily stop picking on them. Till then not so much.

12 Likes

The USA like like such an interesting place, and produces some wonderful people, but I really don’t want to go there.

No country, including China, has ever subjected me to as intrusive and unpleasant treatment on arrival.

This poor girl’s experience, along with so many other TSA and police encounters documented here and elsewhere, show an authoritarian system constantly simmering with violence.

Please fix your government and services, both for your own good and for all the potential guests who might love to visit sometime.

31 Likes

It’s stories like this that inspire me to not fly. I’ll just drive, thank you.

This reminds me of the time I forgot that you can’t pack a full-sized tube of toothpaste. It was ridiculous. I told this TSA agent to confiscate it or do whatever you need to do, and he didn’t like that. He threatens to detain me and “investigate”. Ugh… luckily it didn’t rise to the level of ridiculousness that Hanna saw. No blood spilled…

8 Likes

If only it were that easy.

Power corrupts absolutely; and those who have the power in our country are so deeply entrenched it will likely take some huge catastrophic force to happen before any real change can ever occur.

Also unfuck the TSA.

16 Likes

I really doubt they are under orders to beat people. At least not under documented provable orders that will come up in court. Only Germans write that sort of thing down.

5 Likes

“Here we were with nowhere to go, not even a toothbrush, our bags had gone to Chattanooga,” said Cohen.

Huh? I was under the impression planes don’t fly with bags without the owners on board.

1 Like

Tell that to the many of us who had delayed or lost luggage.

13 Likes

Please release the names of the TSA employees responsible.

6 Likes