Parents pull the plug on kids playing Fortnite in latest Jimmy Kimmel prank

“Don’t be a dick.”

2 Likes

no data available

Hate these Jimmy Kimmel “pranks”. The halloween candy ones are the worst. These aren’t pranks. These are causes of distrust and resentment in your children. Worst idea ever.

2 Likes

True, but adults are better equipped to deal with this kind of crap, better able to fight back.

I have no problem with the idea of being lightly mean to children for fun now and then. It won’t hurt them to understand that when their parents are a hundred times kinder than the kids at school, it’s because they’re choosing to be.

But this doesn’t look like the parents are doing it for fun. It looks like parents joining in a spiteful mob action out of resentment at Fortnite. Like, “we did everything we could, but little Timmy went and ground up some sand and melted it into glass and silicon and made this screen and created all this addictive programming for it and now he never looks up from his phone”.

Meh, I shut Fortnite off all the time.

‘Ok, time to clean the bathroom like I asked’.

‘Yeah, just a minute’

…10 minutes later…

‘Time to clean the bathroom’

‘Just a sec’

…10 minutes later…

Yoink!

‘Augh, I was doing really well!’

Not anymore…

3 Likes

That’s one thing. Your kids know that’s a consequence of something they did (or, rather, didn’t do). They might not like it, but it makes sense that you’d do it.

Having a parent willing to pull something like this at random, for no reason to do with anything you did or could control, just because some asshole on TV said it would be funny, and because they’re making a play for five or ten seconds of fame by getting a national audience to laugh at your expense, seems like a pretty awful betrayal. Call me sensitive, but I would have had a hard time letting go of that as a child.

2 Likes

A good prank leaves the “victim” laughing as hard as anyone else afterwards. Any other kind of prank is an exercise in cruelty and public humiliation.

1 Like

I don’t play Fortnite (reasons), but why can’t they just hit “pause” and resume later?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.