Paris 2024: watching the games, but mostly the toilets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/15/paris-2024-watching-the-games-but-mostly-the-toilets.html

4 Likes

Excellent coverage by Jennifer Sandlin!

10 Likes

I thought that this article would be about the cleanliness of the Siene, which they’re trying to clean up enough to hold the swimming competitions in.

I heard that Macron has promised to swim in the Siene himself to demonstrate the water safety ahead of the Olympics, and that there’s critics of his who plan to be stationed at various points upstream to drop some floaters, timing those drops such that some floaters would pass by just as he’s scheduled to be in the water.

4 Likes

I somehow missed Macron saying that he would swim in the Seine, but the mayor has been promising to do so for some time. She canceled her first date, but promises to do it (I think) sometime this week. She announced a date and time, and apparently there is a web site dedicated to telling people the best time to, uh, drop their Baby Ruths into the river to ruin her swim. But a few days ago, the Sports Minister and the flag-bearer for the Paralympics swam at the point where the triathlon is supposed to start.

About once a month in the summer pre-pandemic, I used to see drunk students stripping down to their underwear and hurling themselves into the Seine. This was before the cleanup efforts got started (or at least before they’d made much headway), and quite close to Paris’ main police station, but despite being illegal I never saw anybody get in trouble. No idea whether the hangover or the E. coli was worse for the students the next morning…

1 Like

tenor

1 Like

Anyone who chooses to swim in that Parisian river is in Seine

5 Likes

You Got Me GIF by HULU

Interesting to see someone doing some science.

Makes me wonder: how far are we from a pathogen-sensing mask / outfit? Shouldn’t we be able to scan around us and see how much risk we are at for different bugs/toxins?

Is there a wearable technology topic?

1 Like

Apparently Mme mayor has done dipped herself!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.