Paris Olympic Village gains facepalm status

Make too much sense. The IOC, like FIFA council, is a cartel-like group that makes deals to sell countries the rights to host to their environmental destroying event. They don’t care about what happen to the host country later because they already get their kickback long before the actual event even happen.

6 Likes

I might be mistaken, but air conditioning is the exception, not the rule in Paris in general - as I understand it the reason for this is that many of the buildings are quite old and lack the ductwork necessary to install a/c. When trying to find accommodations there during the summer a couple years ago, people on message boards and review sites were often quick to note whether a/c was an amenity.

3 Likes

Most of Europe is without air conditioning except modern office and hotel buildings, where it often (in my experience) doesn’t work well anyway. The reason is that in northern Europe the kind of heat which demands a/c is relatively uncommon, while in southern Europe people, where it is more common, worked out different ways of coping centuries before a/c was invented.

10 Likes

who says its not working well enough?

The accommodation complex comprises 7,000 rooms in total, with the geothermal cooling system guaranteeing temperatures inside at least 6 degrees Celsius (11 Fahrenheit) below those outside

so, even if they have tropical nights outside, at least 6C less inside should be sufficient for a good nightsleep (its getting hotter in northern europe, but more than 20C at night is still rare).

seems more like the case @GagHalfrunt mentioned.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I really enjoyed the Vancouver Olympics when they came here too. It was quite a lot of fun and there was a great atmosphere. We watched the hockey finals om a screen set up at an outdoor park and it was a huge family friendly event.
Thankfully most of the structures were existing, or are still in use here.

The IOC is however the worst…
I wasn’t a fan of the fact that a huge number of seats (I think 30+%) at every event were not even available to the public as they were held for sponsors and IOC members who left them empty. But thankfully local officials quickly enacted a policy to sell those seats when the people holding them didn’t actually show up so I got a few last minute seats to events.

6 Likes

The IOC are notoriously corrupt, which isn’t unique to them as major sports governing bodies. However it was good you were able to pick up the spare seats.

7 Likes

true “the worst” gives them too much credit in competition with FIFA etc… :joy:

Perhaps “Among the worst?” :wink:

4 Likes

Being fair you have the order wrong. The IOC are the epitome of an utterly corrupt sporting body that exists on graft, greed, and privilege.

The wonderful mixture of dodgy new money and dodgy old elites, headquartered in Switzerland as it is the perfect legal environment for an international crime syndicate, and taking money at both ends, privatising the gains from public expenditure, leaving ruin and chaos behind, and sports washing evil regimes, was perfected by it long before FIFA cottoned on to the opportunities.

FIFA became as bad when one of the IOC president’s cronies took control.

I really hate the Olympics. Apart from the incredible athletes of course.
@anon11942186 no, they are the actual worst.

9 Likes

I too would like to know why a geothermal heat pump couldn’t supply sufficient cooling. In theory it should work (assuming it was scaled properly).

This has the trappings of a “green energy solutions are a boondoggle” hit piece.

8 Likes

The portable air conditioners are probably the real boondoggle here.

2 Likes

Hyperloop! Tesla Tunnels! Starship Earth-to-Earth hops! The Future is NOW!

5 Likes

I don’t understand at all. A geothermal cooling system is air conditioning. It’s a pretty efficient form of air conditioning, if designed properly, as others here have pointed out. But it is a form of air conditioning, so I don’t understand the statement that the facilities don’t have air conditioning. “Air conditioning” is not synonymous with “air-cooled condenser” or even “refrigeration”. An evaporative cooler is still an air conditioner.

9 Likes

But Paris is usually much cooler.

3 Likes

I contest the last part of that sentence.
Edit: spielling.

2 Likes

Well, people that matter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.