Parkland student activists drive American right berzerk, supercharge attack on public education

The fact that there is still a filter based on something other than living in the district already creates a situation which artificially skews metrics in a way which doesn’t work for purely public schooling.

I want to agree with this statement, but most public schools (at least in my area) also allow lottery to enter when they have available seats outside of the districts #'s and do not discriminate who can attend based on zip-code. Discriminate is a pretty harsh word here, but isn’t that basically what would happen? In purist theory, all public schools should give the students the same level of education, however that is going to be something very unlikely to attain because of variances like culture (like how religious is the community), district density, teacher experience and aptitude.

All public schools will never be the same unless they are very tightly governed as a whole and do not allow variance. That sounds a little bit too McEducation outside of theory though.

1 Like

This is very true. My city has numerous special schools and programs that everyone is either able to get by lottery or entitled to. And yet, you go to those programs and the rooms are a whole lot whiter and a whole lot wealthier than the school down the street that doesn’t have a special program. Wealth means times to spend doing research into options, education means an easier time filling out forms, white collar jobs usually mean more flexible work that allows you to do things during the day when you have to without losing pay. Like that article a while back about how allowing more public participation in urban planning leads to more wealth segregation. Wealth is representation.

4 Likes

If we’re keeping a running total across all of history, no. However, we scored pretty well in the process of depopulating our territory of the previous inhabitants.

2 Likes

Same here - this confused me mightily. Not to be a bag about it, but it’s at best somewhat derogatory up here…

And a few other places.

Plus the assorted outsourced genocides:

&

Etc.

1 Like

the mindset is that you’re either “America First” or “Blame America First”.

Real bunch of grownups out there.

It’s a real shame they turned off the bio-filters on the Pinta and SantaMaria. Star Fleet is going to catch hell for this violation of the Prime Directive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.