Parler wanted Donald Trump, who demanded an ownership stake, which didn't happen

Originally published at: Parler wanted Donald Trump, who demanded an ownership stake, which didn't happen | Boing Boing

2 Likes
3 Likes

Such a great deal maker.

2 Likes

Hahaha. There are still people on this planet who want to do business with Donald Trump

6 Likes

I recently learned that this isn’t the first time rich Americans tried to finance a fascist coup to take over the Federal government when tycoons including the likes Prescott Bush and the Dupont family literally tried to overthrow FDR in the 1930s.

Luckily their would-be puppet, retired General Smedley Butler, was a patriot who wasn’t having any of it. Unfortunately he also had trouble getting the wider public to believe the attempted coup really happened since a lot of the details were kept under wraps for decades.

11 Likes

I’d never heard of that, thanks. It’s amazing those people were too dumb to see that FDR was doing his damnedest to save those people from being eaten by the poor.

2 Likes

Biff has always been a gangster at heart. Every one of his deals includes a demand to wet his beak.

4 Likes

Here’s an excellent comedic-history podcast about it (EDIT: Sorry, this one has a lot of preamble, story starts around 7:50):

2 Likes

It’s kind of wild how many prominent Americans were openly advocating fascism and publicly idolizing Mussolini right up until Pearl Harbor.

5 Likes

It was the same in Britain. The Daily Mail was writing explicitly pro-fascist articles (rather than the dogwhistle ones we get today) until very close to the start of WW2 in 1939. The photos of Mail founder Viscount Rothermere with Hitler were not photoshopped.

5 Likes

Sadly, the outbreak of the war did nothing to stem the rampant antisemitism in America at the time.

As recounted in devastating detail by historians such as David S. Wyman (The Abandonment of the Jews - Wikipedia) and Arthur D. Morse (Arthur D. Morse - Wikipedia).

1 Like

I’m so curious why talks broke down. He wanted more than 40%?

3 Likes

Sympathy for fascist regimes was a hallmark of the original America First movement. Some of the plutes behind Business Plot just shifted their support and funding to the cause of pro-fascist isolationism.

Put another way, some things don’t change.

2 Likes

Not giving him a stake may be the one and only correct decision Parler has ever made.

@orenwolf And another Xeni post’s comments link goes straight back to the post. This stopped for a goodly period of time so I guess we assumed a cause had been identified and fix had happened. I still wonder if it is something to do with a particular workflow she adopts every now and then and the software/platforms involved in that, seeing as it only ever affects her posts.

2 Likes

They could have clinched the deal if it wasn’t for that French name. If only they’d named it something that Donald could get right away, like …

White Noise.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.