Partake in the psychedelic brilliance of this 1931 cartoon: "Bimbo's Initiation"

Originally published at: Partake in the psychedelic brilliance of this 1931 cartoon: "Bimbo's Initiation" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Fantastic!

3 Likes

The Fleischer Bros. did a lot trippy shit back in the day, especially with their music shorts featuring hot bands. I am sure there was “usage” by the artists and writers and directors of those wonderful films. If not, they were some righteously fucked up folk.

8 Likes

Even on freeze frame it is hard to tell but that looked an awful lot like mickey mouse locking him in the sewer.

17 Likes

All my favorite Fleischer cartoons involve trippy stuff making Bimbo miserable. My favorite of the lot is Swing You Sinners.

Poor Bimbo. Spent his life in constant anxiety then got retconned away by the censors after his girlfriend turned into a human.

3 Likes

Totally forgot that Betty Boop was originally drawn as a floppy-eared dog woman. I guess that made it slightly less weird to cast her as Bimbo’s love interest.

7 Likes

Indeed, as we know, all art was hyper-realistic until the 1960s.

5 Likes

Portions of this were used in Twilight Zone: The Movie (3rd segment); great choice. The production folk had a good grasp on what creeps people out.

2 Likes

I’m willing to allow that the statute of limitations has expired.

5 Likes

Um…

?

6 Likes

I bet absinthe was difficult to get during Prohibition.

2 Likes

Along those lines, this incredibly creepy and suggestive advert for Oldsmobile

3 Likes

I like this music better!

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too.

Seems like The Squirrel Nut Zippers “Ghost of Stephen Foster” music video was influence by this cartoon. I’m thinking of the slide ride the character takes down the chute.

9 Likes

I really like the old Fleischer cartoons.

LOVE this song, and the animation. For sure they were inspired by the old Fleischer cartoons!

3 Likes

Cab Calloway rotoscopes are my favourite

4 Likes

until baby boomers invented “drugs”

2 Likes

It was absenth from the menu.

2 Likes

Dafuq?