Ha Ha Ha is an episode of Betty Boop from 1934 about getting stoned at the dentist

Originally published at: Ha Ha Ha is an episode of Betty Boop from 1934 about getting stoned at the dentist | Boing Boing

1 Like

That was demented. Four stars.

People laughing from 10 years earlier: The Okeh Laughing Record (Okeh)1922 - YouTube

6 Likes

Wild. I have said it before and I will say it again: It is a shame that the Fleischer studios didn´t survive for a longer time.

15 Likes

deer

4 Likes

I have no idea where the gif is from, but it really looks like an early Peter Jackson movie.

2 Likes

Evil Dead… obviously NSFW!

Jackson was certainly influenced by Sam Raimi (Jackson’s Dead Alive (Brain Dead)).

8 Likes

My knowledge of the history of animation is a bit sketchy, but I feel like I should be impressed at the way they blended animation and live action in that short. Animated characters interacting directly with physical objects, morphing background objects into animated characters- this seems like it’s full of stuff that is technically impressive for its time.

6 Likes

Koko still hasn’t had his tooth pulled!

5 Likes

They were doing it from the silent era. But the Fleisher Brothers made it a hallmark gimmick. They were quick to imbue personality to their characters in a way others weren’t.

There was a definite East Coast sensibility (Jazz music, urban settings, winking adult references)

5 Likes

Thats the Fleischer studios for you. They were very experimental with the use of new techniques. In some Popeye cartoons they premiered the idea of using models as backgrounds which looks amazing. Also I think they invented rotoscoping.

7 Likes

I recently treated myself to the Fleischer’s Out Of The Inkwell Bonus Edition DVD, which includes many Max/Koko surreal interactions, including the wonderful episode called “Fishing”!

1 Like

This one?

5 Likes

Always a classic.

5 Likes

It explains a LOT that most of us 60’s kids grew up watching these Fleischer cartoons on Saturday mornings…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.