The Fleischer Studios "Out of the Inkwell" is a blast from the past

Originally published at: The Fleischer Studios "Out of the Inkwell" is a blast from the past | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Fleischer Studios were fantastic animators.

9 Likes

How wonderful was it that men went fishing wearing suits, ties and hats?

5 Likes

Hard to overstate the influence their Superman shorts had on the genre. A lot of stuff from Batman: The Animated Series looked like it was lifted straight from those older cartoons.

8 Likes

The animation was top notch, but viewing it from today’s perspective it’s really painful to see some of the racist depictions in the WWII era superman films like Japoteurs or Jungle Drums.

Edit: I guess I was technically mistaken. Midway through 1942 the Fleischer brothers left and Paramount seized control of their studio, renaming it “Famous Studios.” So those racist WWII ones I mentioned were not from Fleischer.

8 Likes

Oh, absolutely. They were also incredibly innovative. Its a shame that they went bust. Imagen if Fleischer survived longer, lets say to the 1960s, 1980s, or even untill this day. What fantastic animated movies could they have given to the world.

5 Likes

Can someone put dope in my ink?

1 Like

I may have posted this here before but we loved the Fleischer’s work and used their rotating platform method for creating our illustrated sets in Ruffus The Dog.

I really enjoy the Fleischer’s more surreal films, mixing the music and the animation, and I’m pretty sure those animators were enjoying their reefer cuz that shit’s bizarrely amazing.

2 Likes

to this day the finest presentation of superman on film. Something about the surreal smoothness and gravity of the rotoscoping fits the uncanny otherworldliness and melodrama of the superman character. I’ve been percolating a simple super-hero mobile videogame in my head for a while, and I always keep this aesthetic in my head.

2 Likes

Link to the youtubes: OUT OF THE INKWELL: Invisable Ink (1921) (Remastered) (HD 1080p) | Dave Fleischer - YouTube

2 Likes

For the love of Mike!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.