Pass the Ball: a wonderful Rube Goldberg-esque animation where 40 artists each created three seconds of the story

Originally published at: Pass the Ball: a wonderful Rube Goldberg-esque animation where 40 artists each created three seconds of the story | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That was actually fun. I enjoyed looking at all the different animation styles, and didn’t feel that I wanted that 2.5 minutes of my life back.

6 Likes

Fun! I’m reminded of the weird and wonderful Anijam from the '80s. Various animators did different segments of the film, with only the requirement that they begin and end their segment with the central character, Foska. So much to love.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I saw at an 80’s Spike & Mike and I have been searching for this ever since YT became a thing. Which was tough since I couldn’t remember the name “Anijam” or “Foska”.

Glad to finally know it does exist and wasn’t an auto-Mandela Effect fever dream.

3 Likes

That was fun, though it was obvious that some animators took the challenge of “picking up where the previous animation ended” more seriously than others.

It reminded me of this collaboration between 70 or so Brazilian animators to recreate an old episode of Woody Woodpecker with each animator creating a short clip in their own distinctive style:

7 Likes

Nice work, Rube! I enjoyed your TV show also

Thank you, that is a truly a wonderful piece of work. Oh to live and work in Brazil where graphic media design and skill is appreciated! The context of animating to a pre-existing narrative with the voice and sound design makes this great.

I feel that the ‘exquisite corpse’ context of passing on blinded from one artist to the other in the posted video could have been a missed opportunity. The generic inteweb music didn’t help.

I appreciate the skill that went into each moment and much love to the animators.

2 Likes

What a cool little film!

Morgan O’Brien’s contribution reminded me a lot of the meterorite that zipped past me and my dad, as we walked to Wolf Lake* to watch a meteor shower. It made a wailing sound, and I saw little flames and all the colors of the rainbow in it while it flew past, spinning, maybe three feet from our heads. Dad didn’t turn a hair, which is almost inhuman. It’s not like meteorites zoomed by every time he walked to Wolf Lake! Before I could retrieve my jaw from the path and ask any questions, he said it had been about the size of a golf ball, and no, we wouldn’t find anything, it would have completely burned up before reaching the ground.

Being killed by a meteorite to the head certainly would have made for an interesting obituary.

*Lake County, in the northwest of Michigan’s lower penninsula

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.