Pastry chef tries her hand at making artisanal Skittles and Kit Kats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/10/pastry-chef-tries-her-hand-at.html

3 Likes

She’s terrific.
Mansplainer apron-boy ‘Brad’, he’s fired.

4 Likes

Lofty Pursuits makes it look so easy.

2 Likes

The Cheetos episode is pretty good too…

It’s fun to watch her reverse engineer the recipes.

7 Likes

I want to work for her.

Request: Fuego Takis

4 Likes

artisanal skittles pair well with craft beer.

3 Likes

Can she plz reverse engineer lime back into the skittle flavors?

4 Likes

Somebody has time on her hands, and maybe plenty of disposable income?

3 Likes

I like Brad, Im hoping they get together in season 2.

6 Likes

Another human being spent their own time and money on a thing they enjoy, but I don’t enjoy that thing? And they dared to share it on the internet, at no cost to me and where I have free choice to not engage with it? What an outrage!

10 Likes

Bon Apetit magazine, and apparently this is the kick ass job their Senior Editor enjoys every day.

Having watched almost every episode of the world’s greatest television series EVER, “How It’s Made”, I can say with certainty that Skittles start via a normal taffy process and are fed through an extrusion machine where they get chopped into “blanks” which then get pressed in metal molds to the basic shape, allowed to cool, and then stored in large bins until the next stage.

In batches, each color/flavor is tossed into a candy “pan” where fine sugar and the liquid color and flavor agents are added and the candy tosses for several hours to build up the shell. Then they toss in a cup of powdered carnauba wax and tossed for several more hours til the shell is shiny. Then each piece is send down a high speed conveyor where an inkjet printer sprays on the final S in titanium dioxide dye.

19 Likes

Off topic: For the life of me I can’t explain why I like the look of the “one lock of grey/white hair on a dark-haired person” so much (on both male and female, too.)

2 Likes

this might just be the best 18 minutes that boingboing has contributed to my life.
thank you.

1 Like

I missed that point. That would be a pretty sweet job, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

I need to meet her doppelganger in San Francisco…
Swoon!

And Brad is a douche. Seriously, Brad?

2 Likes

She in fact did do lime skittles.

2 Likes

4 Likes

You are tracking my youtube account. First the pottery, now this!
I swear I have been watching all her videos since last week.
Now I have graduated to cake decorating (with fondant which I detest) - and different piping tips (mesmerizing russian piping tips details FTW)