Paul Manafort GUILTY on 8 counts, judge declares mistrial on 10 other counts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/21/paul-manafort-guilty-jury-dec.html

7 Likes

sorry, what’s a chich? I googled but couldn’t make sense of this one word.

1 Like

It’s happening! Is it happening?

21 Likes

So, what’s the prison time for the 8 counts that Manafort was found guilty of?

Let’s hope the prosecutor retries on the remaining 10 counts.

10 Likes

Hoo boy.

22 Likes

Typo. “… for which …”

2 Likes

So, guilty on 8 out of 18 counts?

14 Likes

ok NOW I know what Trumo was talking about when he said there’d be so much winning. I’m feeling it! I’m feeling it!

13 Likes

… and now Cohen just pleaded guilty to violating campaign finance laws and other offenses and could face up to 5 years in prison.

ETA: and in his plea he threw Trump under the bus by saying he paid off Stormy Daniels at the behest of "a candidate running for federal office’.

Today is a good day.

29 Likes

8 convictions and a chance for retrial on the other 10.

He was acquitted of nothing.

28 Likes

for all 18, the maximum would be:
5 count * 3 years + 4 counts * 5 years + 9 counts * 30 years = 305 years

But double punishment means that he isn’t going to server the maximum consecutively, as some of the crimes are related.

Also I strongly believe that Manafort won’t serve the maximum on even a single ones of those charges. We’ll all be pretty disappointed when sentencing comes around. My (very) wild guess is it will be a 3-5 year thing, which is still no jokes, but not the sort of punishment the mob is looking for on a highly publicized case.

5 Likes

That’s good news, I guess. Some is better than none.

I just don’t get why the other 10 charges were so hard for the jury to decide on.

Also, the next jury needs to be sequestered.

16 Likes

Its good news.

He was not off the hook for any of the charges. My guess with the jury is information overload. Too much to try to process and make sense of.

13 Likes

Oh, I’m sure he’ll serve a nice, lenient sentence. He’s a privileged white guy committing privileged white guy crimes.

But, if this ends up being one of the cogs in the machine that finally chews up Trump, I’m ok with that.

16 Likes

Trump is just stupid enough to hear that news and think Cohen is about to point the finger at Hillary.

20 Likes

I’m following this on the radio as it breaks. Apparently 2 of the convinctions carry the 30 year max, the rest are 3-5. The prosecutor was apparently only seeking 8-10 on the full 18.

And I’ll bring up my favorite dead horse of the moment. Manafort now goes into all subsequent trials, even any retrials on the hung charges. A convicted felon. That ties the courts hands on sentencing. Each previous felony conviction come sentencing time raises the minimum sentence the court can hand down.

What familiarity i have with these things. 8 convictions and 10 mistrials is a really bad result. Seems like we often see just a couple convictions and aquitals on the rest. Or a last minute plea to lesser charges.

MEANWHILE Cohen is apparently pleading to 8 charges and this include campaign finance violations specifically related to paying off women.

17 Likes

Even that would be a joke compared with what Putin will do to him and his family if he talks.

4 Likes

Omarosa is promising to play that N-word tape tonight too. So that’s at least three separate Presidency-ending-level* scandals to hit the news TODAY.

(*Or at least would be under any other President)

22 Likes

Enough pressure will bust a pipe.

16 Likes

Yeah, but he’s more like a reality-bending silly straw.

8 Likes