Paul Manafort indicted

Nixon’s going to be left in the dust. Trump +50

8 Likes

I, for one, am getting sick and tired of winning.

10 Likes

Frankly, I thought Manafort’s guilt was so obvious, I was surprised he wasn’t busted a year ago. Forgot to mention he’s a foreign agent? Really? That’s even more serious than deleting an email about pizza.

12 Likes

I rarely enjoy Monday. I’ll have to make an exception for this one!

6 Likes

Batton down the hatches and avoid the social media! We are in the path of a category 5 tweet storm!

15 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah, where are the misguided armed men when we really need them? /s

5 Likes

no no. this is past “Republicans” investigating. That’s a congressional investigation I think you are referring to.

These are criminal indictments, and they have been arrested.

If manafort were to fold… he’d have done so prior to the charges… and maybe he has? What do we know about the list of possible charges? This seems like a list much less serious than the TREASON which is the most accurate charge, IMO.

Maybe he dodged that charge by cooperating, and it’ll be a while before that plays out? Maybe not, but maybe.

5 Likes

It’s this wasn’t real it would be absolutely hilarious, but it’s both real and sad for this country

24 Likes

Manafort and rapidly-disgraced Michael Flynn were the easy guesses; others thought to be in the line of the fire include Jared Kushner and the idiot sons of Flynn and Drumpf himself.

Don’t forget Carter “Gazprom” Page. Lots of this regime’s scumbags are in Putin’s pocket, and sooner or later Mueller will get one of them to flip on the others.

6 Likes

IKR! Nothing but nothing burgers on the menu

NothingOnFox

12 Likes

Oh, and one more:

“Separately, one of the early foreign policy advisers to Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign, George Papadopoulos, pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about a contact with a Russian professor with ties to Kremlin officials, prosecutors said on Monday.” NYTimes

9 Likes

Um, you mean they won’t get prosecuted because he’ll pardon them afterwards?

1 Like

I think if the president preemptive pardoned people for things they hadn’t been charged with, law enforcement wouldn’t direct their resources towards investigating and prosecuting those people. I think that’s a very believable scenario.

7 Likes

Good Read: Wired has a nice piece on what we might expect from the investigation:

“Only rarely does the FBI end up charging a single individual; it’s simply not worth the time and resources of the federal government to go after individuals in cases outside of rare instances, like say, terrorism. Institutionally, the FBI’s modus operandi and DNA is to target and dismantle entire whole criminal organizations—that’s why federal cases usually take so long: The agency starts at the bottom or periphery of an organization and works inward, layer by layer, until it’s in a position to build a rock-solid case against the person at the top.”

21 Likes

Didn’t he retain non-trump related/independant council a while back? Or was that some one else?

That usually indicates awareness that you may have to cooperate. If not out and out willingness to. Or at the very least some attempt to avoid being the patsy.

It’s not. Us treason statutes are very specific and very limited. Apparently it requires war to qualify. As in declarations of and acts of. So it’s generally no applied in this sort of situation. We have other charges that tend to be applied. The indictment includes a charge of “conspiracy against the United States”.

8 Likes

The best indictments. The best convictions. Trump Tower let out as a private prison. The best sentences in the best facility.
(the dull boom was my irony meter exploding).

3 Likes

And so, it begins…

9 Likes

I think preemptive pardons aren’t a legal possibility. But law enforcement and state attorneys believing that their work would be (mostly) for naught would be nearly as bad.

1 Like

I think there are more dimensions to this chess game. Notice that the charges so far have nothing to do with the campaign as such or Trump directly - yet this is what Mueller chose as his first big move. I suspect the purpose is to get the ball rolling at the point of least resistance and see how the GOP reacts.

6 Likes