Paul Manafort sentenced to 47 months in prison in Virginia trial, sentencing in Washington DC case next week

Still has to be sentenced in DC no? So maybe more time there too?

Here’s my thinking. Normally these assholes don’t get convicted of anything and serve zero time for anything. So I’ll take 4 years if that’s it over the usual.

I call it progress.

3 Likes

And a fine upstanding guy except for that time when he forced his wife to fulfil his cuck fantasies.

But he’s loyal to Trump, so no-one’s going to call him a cuckservative even though he’s literally a cuck.

23 Likes

Well if he actually tries to vote for Trump while on parole for a felony then we can put him away for five years just like Crystal Mason. (Kidding, of course. He’s not a poor black woman.)

14 Likes

nah all prison sentences lose a 1/3 of the length the day they go in if you stay on good behavior.

if you fuck up inside they start chipping away at that 1/3 first.

3 Likes

Strange. Ellis casually disregards federal sentencing guidelines, and for some reason I don’t hear tucker Carlson howling about judicial activism or overreach. Have I been locked in a sound proof box?

21 Likes
8 Likes

you think the Russians got to that judge? “Otherwise blameless” really?

Just a reminder that Mitch McConnell has now gleefully slammed over ONE HUNDRED judges into the federal system under Trump - we are doomed for decades

13 Likes

This thought may be tinfoil hat-y but I’m gonna go there –

First, of course there are blatantly partisan assholes who’ll blow up everything - including rule of law, standards, and their integrity - for ‘party first’ but –

After finding out that Trump-supporting National Enquirer (and nat enq affiliated people) got ‘the goods’ on someone like J. Bezos and was brazen enough to try to blackmail someone of his stature of power with it –

I’m starting to think people like Judge Ellis here and loads of others making blatantly questionable decisions/statements regarding the players of TrumpWorld might just be doing (some of) it under-duress of some sort.

13 Likes

I’m just thinking of all the murderers whose neighbors are interviewed by locals news and comment on how nice and normal they seemed. Really besides the point isn’t it

8 Likes

“Otherwise blameless life” :drooling_face: ohmy :angry: nononono :skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???

22 Likes

Well, you know, this judge is known for generally being lenient with defenda… oh, ha ha, I’m just kidding. That only appears to be true with rich, white defendants. (Though he once did chafe slightly at sentencing a guy who sold meth once… to 40 years in prison.)

Yeah, hopefully he gets some real jail time for those.

To be fair, he was morally bankrupt in ways that weren’t technically illegal as well. I mean, lobbying for murderous dictators who burn children alive wasn’t actually a crime, even if was a moral outrage. The shit he did to his family wasn’t technically illegal. His own daughter has rejected him in horror of his actions and changed her name.
So it’s more, “he was a pretty upstanding guy except for all the crimes and evil shit he did.”

17 Likes

What is that man doing with his face?

Sentencing seems pretty fair to me… He is about 70 years old. His history is tied to the Clinton campaign just as much as it is to Trumps. I spent a weekend in county jail before… I couldn’t imagine doing 47 months… I’m sure I’ll get bashed for this, but oh well… Life goes on…

Incorrect.
Federal sentences are eligible for 15% reduction for good behavior. That’s it.

6 Likes

And I believe that’s greatly complicated by the whole multiple convictions/felonies thing. Basically you chock up too many of those and you aren’t eligible for sentencing reductions without cooperating with the feds. Which he already borked up.

IIRC his second trial on the more serious, more numerous charges never happened either. His sentencings here are for the first trial where he was convicted AF, and the plea deal he made to make that 2nd riskier trial go away. There should be charges from number 2 that can be brought back, since the deal is null down to his not holding up his end of it. And the sentencing minimums on any further convictions will be a lot higher thanks to all those previous felony convictions.

NY State has also been openly angling to charge him with additional crimes.

So if they want to they can still start piling years up on the guy.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more vindictive, bloodthirsty, and vengeful group of leftists than on this thread. It won’t make anything better if he dies in jail. How about showing some of the compassion that right-wing authoritarians never do, even though they support religious figures who teach it as a central tenet.

2 Likes

Relevant.

29 Likes

Wanting someone to pay for crimes is justice, and being lenient on said crimes sends a message that it’s OK for other people to get away with it. We aren’t advocating death penalty or anything. We’re advocating keeping him from being a danger and bad influence in society. I have no confidence that he won’t do more evil shit if he gets out in 4 years because he has shown nothing but selfishness and contempt for society and the rule of law.

22 Likes

Will probably get pardoned by Dolt45, which could make him a free man as far as federal crimes go IIRC.

The only remaining avenue for justice such as there may be would be state offenses. IANAL.

Anyone who has a solid understanding here on federal pardons and state (New York State comes to mind) crime culpability not covered in such pardons, please chime in. The double jeopardy angle and Manafort’s possible immunity from prosecution just rub salt in this fucked-up stab-in-the-back from a McConnell judge (hey has anyone checked that dude’s bank accounts, both in the U.S. and off-shored?).

I’d like to understand what kind of BS we are likely to see in the next few weeks/months.

3 Likes

“Based on a true story…”

Hollywood comedy has kinda normalized that shit.
It’s bad.
It’s worse than bad.
It’s goddamn grist for the late stage capitalist entertainment mill.

Oh this one looks interesting:

The actions of Manafort and his ilk have real and truly deadly ramifications.

I can’t even imagine the Circle of Hell that is supposed to hold these scumbags when they die. If justice is not served them in this world, I can only hope and pray they get their helping of it in the next.

11 Likes