Paul Ryan boasts that his tax cut resulted in $1.50 per week raise for secretary, then deletes tweet

Republicans have never cared about fiscal responsibility. Ever. It’s a convenient cudgel that they like to swing at anyone who tries to expand the social safety net. We can never “afford” the Children’s Health Insurance Program or student loan absolution, but we can always “afford” to throw billions of extra dollars at a military that can’t even account for $700 million of what it already receives, and reduce the tax burden of the already-obscenely-wealthy.

14 Likes

No. I don’t. Not much changed. Yes our taxes are higher. It was the expected outcome since I’m not a superelite.

6 Likes

I’d call that crumbs, but you can’t even et crumbs for $1.50.

$2.24
Order online for FREE PICKUP TODAYOr available now at your local Walmart

9 Likes

How much health care does a buck fifty buy?

5 Likes

Let them eat crumbs!

And if the tax cut to the lower and middle classes isn’t offset by loss of deductibles and benefits that hugely outweigh the cuts.

12 Likes

It’s just a matter of time when Ryan and el diablo naranja claim their tax scam is responsible for wage growth across the country that is being attributed to higher levels of unemployment.

Source: Reuters

Is el diablo naranja responcible? I highly doubt it.

4 Likes

Stuff like this will help the Dems take many seats in Congress in 2018. It’s hard for me to believe the GOP cannot understand this. It’s like they are desperately trying to hang on to their 35% base, and ignoring the incoming tidal wave. They don’t seem to care that they lost the popular vote in 2016, or they’ve lost special elections and governorships since then. Their motto seems to be, "Hey, we won the 2016 election, so we will be in power forever.

5 Likes

What working-class American wouldn’t be happy to dismantle the nation’s social services for an extra 3.7 cents an hour?

13 Likes

Think of all the penny candy we can get for that!

11 Likes

Do you have many itemized deductions that make the new standard deduction less attractive to you?

There are very few circumstances that will make your 2018 federal taxes higher than your 2017 taxes.

Do I really need to send you my tax returns to get you to believe that our taxes went up this year? I’m not lying about it and it matters much less than someone with less means then my family paying more.

The working and middle class is getting screwed on this deal is my point.

10 Likes

Let them eat (tiny) cake.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll just have to disagree to disagree. Maybe it is definitional (2018 tax year is not what is covered by return you file in April 2018. Or we might differ on what counts as “elite”).

The detail-obsessive in me can’t let it go that the math is pretty straight forward in that virtually everyone making under $100k/year ($200k/year couple) is going to pay a lower federal tax for the tax year 2018 than they did for the tax year 2017, even if it is a very small amount. (Excepting for the situations I spelled out above.)

It was tone deaf to bring up someone saving $78 a year, but like I calculated out above, that sort of savings is only possible if the person is getting down to the zero federal tax burden per year.

How can you disagree with a fact in my life I brought up, though?

We can certainly disagree about the impact of the tax bill, whether it’s good or bad for the economy, and the bottom line of the average worker, but you can’t really dispute what I said about my taxes (and in reality, it’s going to take a while to see the real world effects of the tax break, so we’re both projecting at this point). I’m not lying to you about it. We paid more in taxes. That might not be true of everyone, but it’s true of my family.

15 Likes

Given the tiny tax savings, the person likely qualifies for Medicaid in PA.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/959866102502379520

6 Likes

I’d like to think this secretary in PA was being completely sarcastic because why else mention membership at a bourgeois warehouse club?

7 Likes

To be fair - no one has paid their 2018 year taxes yet.

8 Likes

Brilliant! I wish I could vote for this guy.

Stachism not Fascism!

2 Likes

Granted, perhaps I need some future imperfect tense corrections, but if so, your response should have been a reply to the person I was replying to who wrote:

We paid more in taxes this year thanks to the tax cut.