Paul Simon explains his song "Mrs. Robinson" to Dick Cavett (1970)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/03/paul-simon-explains-his-song.html

5 Likes

”why Mrs. Robinson was willing to destroy her marriage to keep Ben from dating her daughter, Elaine. It’s because Ben and Elaine were half-siblings.

So did Mrs. Robinson bonk Ben’s dad (making little baby Elaine) unbeknownst to her husband…

Or did Mrs. Robinson’s husband bonk Ben’s mother (making little baby Ben)?

Mrs. Robinson was the admitted alcoholic…

Also, we lost Buck Henry recently:

Also, also, for more Paul Simon, I recommend this podcast:

1 Like

Funny he said he wrote Bridge over Troubled Waters for Art Garfunkel. At a concert last year he introduced the song by saying he gave it to a friend but now as his career was nearing the end he was taking it back.

2 Likes

Let’s think that through.
A. Mrs. Robinson knows her husband was father of Ben and Elaine, so she tries to seduce the bastard son of her husband
B. Mrs. Robinson knows she is mother of Ben and Elaine, so she tries to seduce her own son

3 Likes

Well, that’s suburbia for you.

Or what the Yank proposed: C. Mrs. Robinson knows Ben’s father is the father of both Ben and Elaine, so she tries to seduce the son of the man she cheated on her husband with.

In my book breaking up two unknowing half-siblings when you don’t even know if they’ll stay together long enough to have kids at the risk of your marriage is maybe an overreaction… On the other hand people can be justifiably stupid about incest.

AKA sensible :wink:

I was hoping for some more insight into the lyrics, but I guess a stream of consciousness is just what it is.

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidates’ debate
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you’ve got to choose
Every way you look at this you lose

3 Likes

653909_v2_phixr

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.