Watch Jerry Lewis and his son Gary sing The Beatle's "Help" on the 1965 episode of Hullabaloo

Originally published at: Watch Jerry Lewis and his son Gary sing The Beatle's "Help" on the 1965 episode of Hullabaloo | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Is this a deepfake?

3 Likes

8 Likes

The older I got, the less of a Jerry Lewis fan I became, culminating with a rock bottom onstage appearance while I was in college.

6 Likes

Every time I get depressed at the overwhelming ironic detatchment of post-modernism, I can always watch a clip like this to remind me how much more unbearable earnestness was.

17 Likes

Well then, maybe that’ll teach you to stay off the stage!

13 Likes

Well I hope you never had to perform with your dad as this seems to show a desperation and sadness in all the performers eyes.

Also, whats with Jerry’s jaw swivel?

1 Like

I did not realize Barry McGuire was still alive.

1 Like

It’s when you’re confronted with the stark contrast of the lovable goofs Lewis portrays in his comedies and narrow-minded, petty, hollow shell that he is.

Here, with Brother Theodore, he can’t even hold his own. He has to resort to fake/not-fake bullying and cheap shots:

That’s how he sang. Either an affectation or some method to enunciate syllables, but he did it all the time.

2 Likes

Paul Revere and the Raiders are singing Oo Poo Pah Doo.

Watch Jerry Lewis and his son Gary sing The Beatle’s “Help” on the 1965 episode of Hullabaloo

No.

10 Likes

My brain kinda jumped read that as Jerry Lee Lewis first.

1 Like

Ah, a simpler time, when such was considered entertainment.

:smiley:

1 Like

got 4 seconds in… nope

1 Like

Kind of makes you think “The Nutty Professor” was half Jerry actually acting as the professor and half him just being himself as buddy love.

No wonder Dean left him.

1 Like

Wow, that was bad. I know it was common for pop singers to cover the hit records of the day, but that cover made me wince. The Beatles were so good. Gary and Jerry? Pass.

I wonder how many dancers got concussions from having to do the “hulabaloo” dance while on camera

I watched “Hullablloo” as a teenager but never realized how terribly bad those dancers were. I remember Joanie Summers as a modestly-talented singer Dick Clark was always trying to promote for some reason.

2 Likes