Pelosi asks olympic athletes to not pull a Kaepernick in Beijing

4 Likes

Fuck the Olympics. Always, but this time in particular.

It’s a fucking shitshow of evil, corruption, and political pandering.

12 Likes

Mustn’t offend the hosts… /s

11 Likes

:roll_eyes:

9 Likes

The Chinese authorities are hinting that athletes who engage in protests will be arrested, but it might only be a bluff.

Perhaps concerned by the swell of support for Peng, China has taken the unusual step of going beyond the International Olympic Committee bans on athletes taking political stands.

If they break Chinese laws, with “behaviour or speech that is against the Olympic spirit”, athletes will face “certain punishment”, Yang Shu, a member of the Beijing Organising Committee, told a news conference this month.This rhetoric may be intended mostly as deterrent, analysts say. An athlete’s arrest over a political protest would be shocking, and likely to become an enduring image of an event that Beijing wants remembered as a sporting and logistical triumph.

Rob Koehler of Global Athlete, an advocacy group for sportspeople, said they have reluctantly advised competitors to save protests or criticism of China for when they have finished competing and returned home. “That is the hardest and most outrageous thing we have had to say, given how hard we pushed for them to have the right to basic freedom of expression,” he said.

3 Likes

With Democrats like these…

6 Likes

Mexico Olympics 1968.

10 Likes

The message shouldn’t be “don’t piss off the Chinese government” but “don’t put yourself in danger”.

3 Likes

The Canadian ski team passes the reviewing stand at the Nazi Olympics, 1936.

(Technically they were giving the “Olympic salute”, but who could tell, and the German crowd went wild.)

4 Likes

pelosi is already fighting to pass things like build back better and the green new deal against pressure from the mainstream media that democrats have to compromise to appease the death-cult because reasons. despite the fact that you and i know what’s what pelosi is seeking to keep the median “i don’t know jack shit about how our political system works” low-information voter happy. i’m cutting her some serious slack based on her overall track record.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.