Pelosi Says Impeaching Trump "Not Worth It"

The problem here is that impeachment, while it has the trappings of a legal process, is a political one. And since at the moment removing Trump via impeachment is politically impossible (there’s no way enough Republicans in the Senate would defect for the Dems to get a two-thirds majority), there is absolutely no point in pushing impeachment at this time. Especially since there are several ongoing investigations digging into Trump’s crimes, and which have already produced results!

2 Likes

The thing that keeps bugging me about this is the needless inclusion of “bipartisan”. I understand the realpolitik of it needing to have enough Republican support to pass.

But this just leaves the ugly and cynical impression that it could be “compelling and overwhelming” to more than half the country and she still wouldn’t entertain talk about it.

I don’t like the idea that something’s somehow not a crime or a misdemeanor unless you have the agreement of most Republicans. That makes any chance of justice more partisan, when it’s not based on human standards but only cross-party agreement.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Unfortunately, the office of the presidency has a lot of legal immunity. ( As Nixon said "Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal .) That may be debatable to a point, but still, he basically can do whatever the hell he wants and impeachment is the only check. And impeachment is a political process, not a legal one. It will really come down to convincing senate republicans to vote for impeachment, which seems like a losing battle unless democrats take back the senate in 2020. If he loses an election of course he is no longer president and no longer immune. Which bring up Cohen’s “fear” that trump won’t concede if he loses, because he really has EVERYTHING to lose. not just his office.

Pelosi Says Impeaching Trump “Not Worth It”

Trump: “Hold my Adderall and watch this!”

4 Likes

Fingers crossed that he’ll somehow do himself in.

5 Likes

-Crego_Street_Art_008

2 Likes

It is not the job of the House of Representatives to “make the contrast” to convince voters that they should vote against the president, next time the voters get an opportunity to vote. The House’s job is to impeach an unfit president itself, and to refer him to the Senate for trial and removal.

If you believe that Trump is unfit for office—as Pelosi said she believes, and as a majority of the public believes, and as a glance at any morning’s newspaper easily confirms—then you believe that there is already an illegitimate partisan government protecting him, and the Democrats are allowing themselves to be held hostage to it.

The last time Pelosi promised not to impeach a president, he and numerous officials, at his direction, had lied us into a war that still has no end in sight, and everyone knew it by the time she took charge of the House in 2007.

This president has been directly implicated in all but name in at least one actual felony. He has demonstrably engaged in receiving illegal and unconstitutional foreign emoluments on multiple occasions. He has sought to enrich himself on the back of the taxpayer on countless occasions. He has flagrantly worked to obstruct justice in investigations into his potential criminal activities. He has threatened the national security of the country by overriding his own intelligence agencies in handing out top secret security clearances to his family, holding conversations on unsecured phones, and routinely violating diplomatic protocols when having conversations with antagonistic world leaders. He, his family, and his cabinet have engaged in corruption at a scope and scale that is nigh-unprecedented in national history.

What crimes will the next Republican president feel free to engage in because they know there will be no consequences?

7 Likes

I told peeps to get behind someone other than Pelosi. Warned my local Democrats. Too radical they said, Pelosi has a good record they said. Congrats internet. You have Pelosi, do with her what you will.

1 Like

“We’ll only impeach if there’s compelling evidence. It’s not worth our time to impeach.”
She could have said “The Republicans won’t convict no matter what,” but no. She singlehandedly undermined every single investigation against Donny Two Scoops by implying that there wasn’t any compelling evidence.

Fucking stupid thing to say.

7 Likes

The best argument for impeachment is, ironically, the case for national unity. Americans ought to be able to agree that, while all opinions are open to debate, some behavior really is out of bounds. An impeachment trial can’t be won? Well, the Republican Party may be obedient now, but there is just enough Never Trumping among those who were once the staunchest of conservatives to make it clear that the difference between constitutional conservatism and thuggishness is real and can be argued for, and maybe even partly won.

I’m really not that optimistic about republicans waking up. I’d love it if they would…

4 Likes

there’s no point in talking about impeachment UNTIL people get off their lazy behinds and get out and VOTE. We may have the House, but we have to get the Senate. (There are seats up in 2019, hint hint)
Plus, we need to make gerrymandering illegal in ALL 50 States. Last election one State did just that with a Proposition. 49 more States to go.
If we have a majority in both Houses we can keep trump impotent.
That said, the investigations need to continue unabated.

3 Likes

republicans right now are all acting like “Good Germans”.
They are cowards and all need to be voted OUT

4 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks, just more proof of how out of touch she is. She may be a good fixer in terms of getting things done, but we need someone with more fire in her belly, more of a sense that the fucking woods are on fire.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.