Penn and Teller performed the best magic trick ever on SNL in 1986

My first EV was a Leaf and it was pretty humble because they tuned it way down in software to increase range and decrease torque steer (front wheel drive). My second one was a Bolt where they didn’t do as much nerfing and it would throw you into the wall with torque steer if you got into it too much at corner exit. That was a tiny tiny taste of what electric can do, if not mostly nerfed as these basic EVs all are. :smile:

5 Likes

Is this your card?

3 Likes

I test drove a Bolt and Ioniq 5 but ended up with a used ‘21 Niro EV to save money. Both the Niro and Bolt will spin the tires if you accelerate too quickly. My sense is that any wheel spin in an EV is due to not bothering to really dial in the traction control. The EGMP cars won’t spin because Hyundai/Kia/Genesis wanted to get their new bottom-up EV platform correct.

3 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

I’ve seen P&T twice, and both times they spend as long as required after the show talking to fans. Class acts.

2 Likes

Nothing classier than privilege blindness and climate change denial.

3 Likes
  • Citation needed.

:roll_eyes:

It’s well established, but watch their show Bullshit. They layer in their libertarian politics throughout, and libertarianism is weaponized privilege blindness. They did an entire episode about climate change denial which I referenced upthread.

It’s not my job to do your homework for the basics.

2 Likes

Doug Henning? Harry Blackstone Jr.?

Haven’t heard those names in a while, oops, didn’t realize or had forgotten they died way too young.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here.

1 Like

Good for him. Doesn’t mean that the years before he learned to accept the science and publicly promoted that idea didn’t cause real harm to furthering the cause of doing something productive about it. But of course, rich, white, straight men rarely get held to account for their actions or get called out for their shitty views, so…

1 Like

So what he’s saying is that he was a climate change denier because he was a dick, but he’s since moved on the issue while still being a dick about it. To his credit, though, elsewhere he admits the ideals of libertarianism may have been problematic and opened the door for Trump, not wearing masks, and increased racism. He’s more mindful these days, which puts him on the road to being a better person. But there’s a lot of work to do, what with being a dick and a former fellow of the Cato Institute.

3 Likes

Season 20 Flirting GIF by The Simpsons

Teller as Laughlin

2 Likes
1 Like

Well, but is your job to do the basics for your summary/paraphrasing of the arguments, if you’re going to be somewhat dismissive about two quite contemplative and otherwise humanist individuals who are several standard deviations more appreciative of and generous to their fans than most other entertainers.

I watched both episodes of Bullshit! yesterday (1x13 from 2003, and 5x09 from 2007), and, respectfully, I don’t think your criticism stands up. I didn’t agree with the conclusions from 1x13 (standing here in 2023, with 20 years of hindsight bias), although I could sort of see the point, which was more about conflating problems with capitalism and global warming and knee-jerk joining of causes without much understanding than it was denying climate change.

But I can’t disagree with the premise of the Prius segment of 5x09, which was that carting around both a battery and an ICE was probably not going to make for the best-performing and most fuel-efficient vehicle… of 2007.

And in that same moderately-Prius-bashing episode, nuclear energy was given its due as a much cleaner and safer source of electricity than coal, which I think is spot-on (for 2007, before solar really ramped up).

RationalWiki have gone through their series in excruciating detail.

Aside from the climate change denial, the ‘second-hand smoke’ episode was staggeringly wrong.

5 Likes

Once again:

Objectivism Not Even Once.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.