Penn State's Joe Paterno would have gone to prison

[quote=“emo_pinata, post:18, topic:102085”]
Maybe, probably not. They are super light sentences for the crime, there are no long term ramifications, and the football program was largely unaffected.[/quote]

It is the first time I’ve ever seen actual jail time for administrators in this kind of situation, and while the behavior of Paterno and Sandusky was appalling, the manner with which Spanier was complicit in the football program’s handling of the complaints is bog standard among chief operating officers at Division I football schools. So, while the months he’ll spend in jail is just a fraction of what you or I would get for child endangerment, it is infinitely more than what has been the norm.

3 Likes

Because they’ve been convinced that it makes money for them, and both state and federal government in the US have been reducing funding for universities for years and want universities to be “self sufficient”. The thing is, it actually turns out that once the costs of athletic “scholarships”, athletic facilities, and multi-million dollar coach salaries are taken into account, most university athletic programs actually lose money!

4 Likes

It’s because he was a white dude of some social import. Sports ball is only part of that.

4 Likes

Yes, because the rest of penn state should suffer for a crime they didn’t commit.

3 Likes

Keep telling yourself that. The rest of us will suffer at the hands of reality and the people who refuse to acknowledge that it exists.

2 Likes

They don’t lose money, they purposely mask all profits to limit scholarship opportunities for students and avoid paying taxes. That is an entirely different set of extremely sleazy and unethical practices, much like the production of a film that claims their tentpole movie was made at a loss.

5 Likes

All it takes for creative accounting to fail, is political will.

Vote out the yellowbellied cowards who can’t resist an extra buck, and vote in people who have a modicum of integrity with an agenda that says that corporations and the rich need to be paying at least as much (marginally) as the middle class.

4 Likes

[quote=“emo_pinata, post:27, topic:102085”]
They don’t lose money, they purposely mask all profits to limit scholarship opportunities for students and avoid paying taxes.[/quote]
@jhbadger is completely correct. Figuring out how money flows between the campus and the athletic departments is not entirely trivial, but changes in both campus budget models and NCAA reporting rules have made it easier in recent years, and this has been pretty extensively studied and reported over the last 10-12 years. What is remarkable is how people in positions of authority over university financing (regents, legislators) have somehow been shielded from this.

3 Likes

fair enough. In that case, just shut down the football program for the next 5 years.

2 Likes

I never understood why this happens in US sports. British sports teams prefer to train young players at their clubs.

Not that this is any protection against child abusers.

3 Likes

Works for me. Although the players probably aren’t responsible for the actions of the coaching team either. But maybe people who would have come to Penn State to play ball would go elsewhere instead?

4 Likes

They were given a 4 year postseason ban, which I think wasn’t strong enough.

3 Likes

Probably not. But you know, FOOTBALL, so…

3 Likes

The four year postseason ban effectively kills their football program. No good players will go to a school that literally can’t get into the postseason, and after the ban is up, no good players will want to go to a school that has a sucky team. But I think they should be prohibited from having a team. If they prioritize winning sports ball games over keeping children safe, they should be forced to reevaluate their priorities.

5 Likes

I agree. Never said I didn’t.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.