Penn State's Joe Paterno would have gone to prison

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/02/penn-states-joe-paterno-woul.html

3 Likes

Because sports ball sucks.

11 Likes

The victims of Sandusky should own Penn State, just like the victims of the church cover up should own the church lands…

10 Likes

I don’t think they imprison people for that.

3 Likes
16 Likes

I’m sure the University would have extended the same level of deference had a respected professor of humanities helped cover up and enable decades of child sex abuse. [/s]

24 Likes

I would have invalidated the school’s accreditation, voided all of the wins they got under “Uncle Joe” and sold off all the buildings and given the money to the victims.

That still wouldn’t have been enough.

5 Likes

You say, “JoePa”!

I say, “accessory to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a minor”!

7 Likes

[quote=“cameronh1403, post:7, topic:102085, full:true”]
I would have invalidated the school’s accreditation[/quote]
How would punishing the students and faculty at PSU help make right the wrongs caused by the athletics department?

The jail sentences for the people involved, especially Spanier and Schultz, is a really big deal, and will send shock waves through schools like PSU (and most state flagship universities), where athletics traditionally is allowed to run as a quasi-autonomous entity. For the first time, senior administrators now know that they can be held responsible for this kind of malfeasance, and the punishment will be more than a platinum handshake and a ticket to head some other university. Even with the relatively light sentences, it is a game-changer.

15 Likes

I hope you’re right!

8 Likes

Personally, I think that they should be permanently banned from operating any sports programs.

Along with Stubensville and that other place.

6 Likes

The mindset appears to be " so what, a few dozen poor kids got their souls stolen" " How can their loss compare to the religion of football or whatever other sacred cow that good ol boys worship" Poor kids = collateral damage.

Organized sports should be banned from universities! Focus on true education that all students can equally access. Fuck the steroid studs! Such is my humble opinion

12 Likes

You’re probably referring to Steubenville High School, where the rape scandal happened a few years back.

Steubenville University is an ultra right wing Catholic madrassa. Lots of shit goes on there, but not sports related AFAIK.

Um… Be more specific :cry:

5 Likes

Why American universities spend this much effort on something completely unrelated to their stated purpose is an utter mystery to me. You want to play ball games? Capital. Go do it in your own time. Midterm’s next week, by the by.

3 Likes

College athletics is a free farm league for pro teams. It’s never going away until major societal changes happen.

9 Likes

Bill Cosby had a similar group around him that could have done something, but chose not too. Donald Trump as well. No one in a powerful position gets away with abuse without their enablers looking the other way.

8 Likes

This is the long and short of it. The college football/basketball system is irreparably broken because it is profitable for the school and not for the players as the industry have blown up. It’s the same as any other broken system in the US when a backroom full of dudes makes very bad decisions for personal gain.

[quote=“d_r, post:9, topic:102085”]
For the first time, senior administrators now know that they can be held responsible for this kind of malfeasance, and the punishment will be more than a platinum handshake and a ticket to head some other university. Even with the relatively light sentences, it is a game-changer.
[/quote]Maybe, probably not. They are super light sentences for the crime, there are no long term ramifications, and the football program was largely unaffected.

3 Likes

The number of people who have covered-up or impeded investigations into sexual abuse/assault is ridiculously large. They need to be brought to justice. This is just one small step in a long struggle that isn’t ending anytime soon; it’s gaining momentum. Justice will prevail. These monsters must pay.

3 Likes

Sadly, Mr. Paterno has passed away of lung cancer.

This is the only context in which that statement will ever make sense. Death was too good for Paterno.

5 Likes

That ship sailed long ago. See: Sandy Hook.

The sad fact is that acceptable losses in the name of the cause have included kids for a long time now.

3 Likes